Monday, May 31, 2010
Sunday, May 30, 2010
The other day I needed one of the students to do something for me, so I poked my head in the door and started talking to the back of her head.
Sort of disrespectfully the student ignored me, so I repeated myself. Still nothing. Finally, incensed I come into the office to do something overt to get her attention - and see this:
Saturday, May 29, 2010
- 13:46 @APBBlue trudat #
- 14:33 @walt828 bit.ly/9X84gv Supreme NYLACHI #
- 16:42 @sdeutsch bring some spare people? #
- 22:37 @aerdin with free beer and food at Marisa's. Hmm #
- 00:49 @ebertchicago would that they'd cast Kevin Bacon as the preacher. #
Friday, May 28, 2010
Themepark Insider: When Kiddieland Amusement Park in Melrose Park, Illinois closed after over 80 years, there were fears that many of their iconic rides were going to be destroyed. However, Kiddieland’s Illinois Neighbor, Six Flags Great America, felt that part of Kiddieland should still be enjoyed by the Chicagoland guests.
Posted by David at 2:21 PM
- 11:14 @frontrowcenter5 que? #
- 11:46 Found my toolbelt! #
- 16:03 Waste time here: bit.ly/aMQAgx #6dobs #
- 17:33 Anyone out there in the world got a printer/cutter to recommend - or not recommend? I have some funds for an acquisition. #
- 19:11 I mean geez Kevin, it's just a ring, let it go yfrog.com/izr2cj #
- 23:39 OH! MY! GOD! #
Thursday, May 27, 2010
In response to this:
... As long as I'm here, I'll bring up another topic I'm passionate about:I just said this:
Choose an institution of higher learning not by the quality or newness of its equipment or facilities, but for its faculty and program. All the state-of-the-art whiz-bang gizmos don't mean squat if the professors don't know how to teach, or don't know how to use the "toys" themselves. Besides interviewing potential professors and current students, a campus visit should also include seeing a performance. Now while it's possible a HS student will be impressed with any college production, it's not always a given. I once saw a production at a "name" theatre school, with an MFA program, and the production values were so poor there is no way I could ever recommend that school. Now that I think about it, that's happened at two different schools.
Another thing--I'm leery of any school where the students design too much. (Controversial statement? Please continue reading with an open mind, before responding.)
My college allowed only seniors to design mainstage productions, and rarely if ever would allow more than one student designer on a production. I see too many students who have designed many shows, but without proper supervision. Therefore, they lack critical analysis of their work, and don't know how to collaborate or defend/explain their design decisions. IMO, design is best learned via the mentor method, not on one's own in a vacuum. Choose a college, primarily, because of its faculty.
I would say that "Choose an institution of higher learning not by the quality or newness of its equipment or facilities, but for its faculty and program." is fairly on point. The real red herring here is often facility, in that whiz-bang facility doesn't always make a whiz-bang program. Both times I was a theatre student it was in less than state of the art venues and in some ways I think that actually enhanced the experience.
I would say it really is about the faculty, and to a lesser degree about the classes. Who are they, what have they done, what will be your access, and what are they actually going to offer in terms of education. At this point I don't think I could possibly recommend a program where there isn't an established, specific curriculum they can discuss with you.
With respect to gear, in the more technical specialties you likely do want to be sure you will have some experience on contemporary equipment. So again, having it doesn't mean for sure it is the right place, but different from facility, not having it does make a difference. Keep in mind though that there are many avenues at school to using cool gear. Where I work now we own a good chunk, but we also rent often, and there are other organizations on campus with a good inventory as well. So if the answer to "Do you have the newest shiny thing?" is no, ask about other opportunities to get the exposure before writing them off.
Designing, or more specifically "Another thing--I'm leery of any school where the students design too much." I think this is more about faculty than opportunities. As a design student you want to design, as a technical student you want to engineer and implement, as a manager you want to manage; these are all good and necessary experiences. It's not so much about how often as it is about how prepared and how supported.
Let's use "working" to catch all disciplines. If you are working a lot, but it starts as an underclassman and the faculty travels often... that may be less desirable than not getting to it until later. If you are working before you've had class prep for the tasks involved that might be less desirable. If faculty aren't in the shops or in the theatres that might be less desirable.
Conversely you also might want to watch out for programs where everything is done by faculty, staff or locals. Whether you design, engineer, or manage you want the opportunity to be the one actually doing it. So when researching, the level of student involvement is as important to research as they level of faculty involvement. I don't think you can make an assessment based solely on the number of opportunities. It's the nature and quality of the opportunity that matters.
The conversation picks up here.
- 13:38 RT @ebertchicago: Opening all over: The "Grease" singalong. "You're the One That I Want." j.mp/cKNOtX #
- 13:39 RT @CarnegieMellCFA: School of Drama announces 10-11 season (including a banned German play) - check out the list here: bit.ly/arPtYU #
- 13:42 RT @ebertchicago: My review of SATC2. These people make my skin crawl. j.mp/btqcjT #
- 14:23 paneracommuting #
- 17:12 moving people from "students" to "old students" on AIM #
- 18:28 @caryatiddreams oops #
- 18:30 @aerdin did I miss something? #
- 21:53 @mattigray I seriously beg to differ, maybe *this* Chicago, but the band of my formative years definitely held up to the city. #
- 23:18 Maybe Orlando is for real afterall #
Wednesday, May 26, 2010
- 11:39 RT @backstagejobs: U2's health woes mean 1000's of stagehands have less work this summer. tinyurl.com/3yay8e3 #
- 11:40 RT @WDUQ_News: WDUQ- Santorum Will Decide On White House Run After November: Former Republican U.S. Senator Rick Sa... bit.ly/9lgZnQ #
- 12:23 Great. Sunscreen facilitates skin cancer: bit.ly/cXlZlS Next? Toothpaste causes cavities. #
- 12:28 It's #towelday bit.ly/MqUZK #
- 14:35 If The Fed is making all kinds of money off the bailouts: bit.ly/cS7N3P then did we actually *need* a bailout? Prolly a timing thing #
- 14:36 @bpeoples You do live right down the street from Barbara #
- 16:30 @rachelyra welcome to my world #
- 17:14 Just called GPA "position information" So what would the grading equivalents to velocity and acceleration be? #
- 19:57 Tamari #
- 23:49 Nice job Los Suns #
Tuesday, May 25, 2010
- 12:07 just there for a minute it seemed like my list was getting shorter #
- 13:23 Why did I not do a Ricardo Montalban #lostspoiler? Pop culture FAIL #
- 13:34 Which is more important: a full week off b4 xmas or an extra week off in August? I know how I'd vote (if there was a vote - there won't be) #
- 14:09 @sdeutsch so you'd give up a high profile internship or a gig to have more time for holiday spending? #
- 14:15 @sdeutsch yes, but now it's two weeks - and some classes are only 8 #
- 15:13 Archiving - woohoo! #
- 18:42 Found another whole cat worth of cat hair. #
- 22:29 Making an effort to care about hoops #
- 23:22 And ... Overtime #
- 23:41 It's possible nobody wants to win this game #
This was ages ago.
My laser etched show badge for Playground 2010. Peter's introduction before the first piece. It is amazing how much energy goes into the thing. I get the feeling had we done it in my day, and had it taken place without snow on the ground I would have spent the week playing something North of 90 hours of ultimate.
Monday, May 24, 2010
- 12:32 ZOMG! Jack is actually a woman! #lostspoilers #
- 15:40 All of Lost was the shared dream of people waiting in line at the Tuscon DMV. #lostspoilers #
- 17:07 Black Smoke actually from grease on Jacob's oft neglected panini press. #lostspoilers #
- 18:51 Losties saved when the professor uses Marianne's scrunchy to fix the fanbelt on a derelict motorboat. #lostspoilers #
- 18:52 @sdeutsch I don't think made from scratch #
- 20:17 The Island grew Locke's hair back! #lostspoilers #
- 20:52 Never expected NPH to appear in the finale and sing. #lostspoilers #
- 21:08 The light at the heart of the island is a TV, where people are watching the finale of Lost. #lostspoilers #
- 21:14 Man in Black: Steve Jobs - nuff said. #lostspoilers #
- 21:20 In an unforgivable cross promotion, the Island turns out to be one of Anna's experiments on V. #lostspoilers #
- 21:28 Awesome commercial for the Sawyer/Miles cop spin-off show! #lostspoilers #
- 22:38 Tonight, Target rules. #
- 22:42 Hey Westcoasters, remember there are people watching in Hawaii. #lostspoilers #
Sunday, May 23, 2010
Saturday, May 22, 2010
- 15:05 Fill the Diet Pepsi already!!! #
- 15:54 @speak_true As an ETCP Certified Theatre Rigger and a LONG TIME fan, I want this as a poster for my office: bit.ly/9kFwM7 #
- 16:08 @golan excellent notion - maybe I'll do the same. #
- 19:40 Patio. Bar Louie. Waterfront #
Friday, May 21, 2010
- 12:50 @bpeoples I have a typewriter in the garage I think - but it's weird, actually a pen plotter #
- 14:12 Melissa in Vegas? September? Hmm. #
- 16:09 Locker cleanout day apparently #
- 16:48 - John's Blog Main Page - Backstage at Cirque Ka on Nat Geo Tonight goo.gl/xR8F #
- 17:48 filing, shredding, recycling... #
- 18:01 Be less helpful - I couldn't agree more. on.ted.com/8Kjz #
- 20:59 DVRing Erik and watching Fringe in real time. #
Thursday, May 20, 2010
- 16:11 Garage fixed #
- 16:14 Industry icon Prof. Dr. Fritz Sennheiser dead at 98. L&S Online: tinyurl.com/2dzj8pj (via @backstagejobs) #
- 16:17 @caryatiddreams this is one of those upset a few or upset everyone things. I opt for the few. #
- 16:21 @bpeoples probably less lame is you pay property tax in the district (be nice to have a lifetime labor vs. multi purchase price comparison) #
- 16:23 If you don't boot up your windows laptop for two weeks be prepared for two straight hours of updates #maybeishouldhaveamac #
Wednesday, May 19, 2010
- 12:45 @mattigray independent=disenfranchised #
- 15:08 Scary: bit.ly/b89fTS #
- 18:56 Please refill the diet soda. #
- 00:23 RT @stagedirections: NEWS: League of Resident Theatres Issues Statement in Protest of Arizona Immigration Law SB1070 ht.ly/1MQKg #
- 00:24 RT @SenArlenSpecter: Congratulations, Congressman Sestak. You have my support for the general election. #
Tuesday, May 18, 2010
- 15:32 @bpeoples kindle web is a little... less than - although I agree with your overall premise #
- 15:34 Yeah, not going to make it in today. #
- 15:49 @bpeoples more like "net connection of last resort." the UI just isn't designed for it. Maybe you'll think different. #
- 16:00 YouTube if 5. I would have thought it was much older. Amazing how quickly we become accustomed to things #
- 17:30 RT @ESTAtweets: Busy day! ESTA welcomes new member Chicago Flyhouse, Inc.! bit.ly/dpBiwX #
- 17:31 revising the scheme coverage grid - the future, always in motion it is #
Monday, May 17, 2010
Sunday, May 16, 2010
- 13:20 Even when we're not working it still manages to be more than five days in a row. #
- 17:31 Buzzed. #3 #
- 21:01 Doctor Who party at my place! Oops, forgot to invite anyone. SocialFAIL #
- 23:51 Someone please tell me where to go see @speak_true this summer. My Atlantic City plans fell through and now I am without an idea. #
Saturday, May 15, 2010
Friday, May 14, 2010
Thursday, May 13, 2010
Finally crits ended with the outgoing seniors:
We begin with Naomi...
... who landed the gig I was trying to get almost a decade ago before landing here.
Next up Chapel...
... off to Williamstown and then we'll see.
And then Candace...
... winging her way out to the coast.
Followed by Bryan...
... going back to Lancaster and the job I think I would most have wanted after undergrad.
And then a special appearance by Alana...
... who has actually been in Lost Wages for a while now (working for the company that let me go).
This has been a great group for four whole years - some even longer, and I am going to miss them all very much.
(also I look like a slob. note to self - summer project...)
Wednesday, May 12, 2010
Three crit sessions on the last day. Here are photos from two of them:
We begin with Sam...
... and his very presentational iris.
Next is Nicole...
... who said something nice about my class last semester.
And then Kevin...
... to whom three people said the very same thing, I wonder if it hit home.
Next up is Kelli...
... whose display included a nice piece about pneumonia.
Then we have Elize...
... who may have concluded that the key to Production Management is knitting.
Along we come to Danielle...
... my response here was perhaps too curt.
Next is Cody...
... with a big fat "APPROVED" stamp on his thesis proposal.
And then Calvin...
... who made the tactical error of saying he liked to work in the scene shop.
We wind up with Ariel...
... who as a junior did her very first crit.
Tuesday, May 11, 2010
- 09:10 25 minute commute over surface streets - not bad #
- 09:11 Semester reviews, day three, morning session. The start of a LONG day. #
- 10:50 Two crits behind. #
- 12:55 One session complete, two to go, but first a meeting. #
- 15:25 Crits: 2 of 3 for today #
- 15:34 @mipow mmm lunch #
- 16:33 and the second session is done - now only the seniors remain #
- 1 8:32 Semester reviews, Monday. Session three #
- 21:12 maybe a little sad #
Monday, May 10, 2010
- 12:37 Mothers, Mother's, or Mothers' Day? Whichever, have a happy one! #
- 12:40 RT @ebertchicago: At last, a Hollywood charity appeal that unites Left and Right. j.mp/cDIgCN #
- 15:30 RT @backstagejobs: Sick of automated lights. Someone bring me some Kliegls & saltwater dimmers, or even lime sticks and a gas table please! #
- 23:26 Suitcase is chief? Rose needs a divorce? Jesse suspended? What's next, dogs and cats sleeping together? #
- 23:32 Hey Verizon, why has my DVR decided not to record Stargate Universe from now on? I've a series recording set for new episodes - and yet not #
Sunday, May 09, 2010
- 17:54 Iron Man #
- 22:26 RT @ebertchicago: Our streetscapes are being eaten alive by bank branches. #
- 22:56 RT @rlbugg My Matrix3 digital audio system in Pelican road cases stayed dry under 5 feet of water in the Nashville flood. (via @ellenjuhlin) #
- 22:57 @sspuh that's a bummer. Don't do that. #
- 22:58 What do you know of the weeping angels? #
Saturday, May 08, 2010
More from Spring Semester Reviews.
This round starts with Liz...
... she sat in the back of my class.
Next is Kathrine...
... she was packing before I could get the shot.
... composed his board for a tall photo.
... Hannah's season calendar appears to fit on one crit panel.
Next is David...
... who came up with a different solution for his calendar to fit on one panel.
Then we have Charley...
... who really enjoyed rapid prototyping class.
Last we see Brian...
... perched atop the Empire State Building.
Last day on Monday.
- 10:00 Semester Reviews - Day Two, Session One #
- 13:07 RT @CarnegieMellon: In theaters: Iron Man 2. For fans of Tony Stark's race car, a CMU fact: it was designed by an alum. ht.ly/1Ibi6 #
- 13:26 @ellenjuhlin values your intput and thinks there should be more? #
- 14:46 Crits afternoon session #
- 17:29 @aerdin continuing theatre based education & process for teacher accreditation, corporate training and problem solving. #
- 17:30 @aerdin or a grilled cheese truck #
- 17:32 @sdeutsch I'd say "educaTED" bet we'd get sued #
- 20:12 Staring inconceivably at an upcoming two consecutive days off. #whatamiforgetting #
- 01:20 Walternate!!! Wasn't expecting that. #
Friday, May 07, 2010
- 09:23 as someone that lost track of their keys three times in the last 20 hours I sort of feel for the guy #
- 09:40 And we're off... yfrog.com/5c1jqj #
- 14:00 Semester reviews, day one, session two #
- 16:34 @aerdin2 interesting threshold for best ever #
- 16:34 One day complete #
- 22:12 You're five foot nuthin, a hundred and nuthin #
- 00:28 @scoutfi nch2271 Rudy. #
Thursday, May 06, 2010
Some pictures from today's crits:
Morning session starts off with Matt...
...He divided his board precisely: LD on the left, TD on the right.
Then we have Chris...
... I always like it when the practical projects make it to crits. Nice joinery project.
And the Ethan...
... who cleared up the whole 3-D Printer thing with a "no."
Afternoon saw Devorah...
...Whose calendar is hard to read hung like that.
And the Jacob...
... who confused us by talking about freaking out his friends.
Sharing backgrounds was Brooke...
... if you look just behind her leg you might see something from my class.
Last today we have Tom...
... the uncropped picture is really more of Susan (and maybe not for the internet).
Wednesday, May 05, 2010
- 12:43 Bell lap #
- 12:54 @tcschwa I don't think that's tenure. I think that's the community and the leadership. #
- 12:56 @scoutfinch2271 cute #
- 14:40 not making necessary headway #
- 15:26 Tony day does not make for expedited blogging: bit.ly/3KXsrH #
- 15:38 Darth Vader GPS says "I find you lack of faith disturbing" when you drive off the route bit.ly/bynJfo (via gizmodo) #
- 15:54 NOTICE: If you are going to turn in your homework on an E-Sheet, better damn make sure it isn't clipped anyway. #youwouldntlikemewhenimangry #
- 17:31 RushSez: "scraping off the VIN means he's not amateur." Rush: not knowing the VIN appears multiple times says otherwise. #
- 17:32 5 minute break #
- 21:07 Changing venue #
- 22:57 So they deleted the photos, you still have the bones! #sometimestvisstupid #
- 22:58 One last push # < li>02:00 Well that's quite enough of that. I may never give an assignment or an exam ever again. #
Tuesday, May 04, 2010
- 12:30 @aerdin "star tenants" by definition don't call about flooding #
- 12:31 Back to the grading #
- 14:23 My watch broke. I wonder if that means I have as much time as I want #
- 15:32 One class complete! Five to go :-( #
- 17:40 Two classes complete! #
- 17:42 @bpeoples Usted tiene el email address incorrecto bit.ly/PzpCa #
- 18:01 Three. ( I punted a little) #
- 18:09 Must grade, no frisbee #
- 18:45 RT @backstagejobs: If U're reading ths in Chicago, U shld B at the Merritt Awards at the Goodman Theatre: tinyurl.com/2422nwv #
- 20:16 losing momentum #
Monday, May 03, 2010
- 16:55 I've now graded enough to recover my desk and my couch - next up? Chairs! #
- 16:56 oh, and something in 33 smells unfortunate - sorta by the door #
- 21:17 a/c? On 5/2? In Pittsburgh? I just can't. #
- 23:06 Just, finally, watched Epitath 1. Wish I was waiting for season 3. #
- 01:01 Oh Verizon, why do you do a required weekly EAS test every night? #
Sunday, May 02, 2010
- 12:57 The purple thing bloomed: yfrog.com/j0kyij #
- 14:47 Dentist - or paying to be poked with a sharp stick #
- 18:27 @beccarebec outstanding - definitely want to eat there eventually #
- 20:44 I swear I just graded 80 draftings. Whoosh! #
- 20:48 @giantspatula your avatar makes me think @giantlitterscoop #
- 21:45 MMM. ad ex onroeville #
- 01:30 Hoping all my peeps got home alright. #
Saturday, May 01, 2010
- 08:23 Last day of class #
- 09:15 Anyone who's interested in creating a Squirrel Hill Coworking space send an e-mail to sqhillcowork at benpeoples.com (via @bpeoples) #
- 09:49 Pittsburgh tops @Forbes America Most Livable Cities. Universities (CMU included) cited as 1 reason: ht.ly/1F94T (via @CarnegieMellon) #
- 09:50 Studiocraft CAD - Mastery retake #
- 11:46 Start the grading clock. Why can't I just play frisbee? #
- 14:30 Wishing I couldn't be overhearing what I am #
- 15:44 one final graded - woohoo #
- 17:23 @caryatiddreams spiderman, not #
- 20:09 Back to the office #
- 20:55 CAD, check. #
- 23:32 Fearless Love #1 on Amazon - both physical & digital! Let's keep this going! amzn.to/aVKoaX (via @speak_true) #