Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Vote for Comment of the Week

Votes by Friday noon, please.

Student #1 has left a new comment on your post "“Live Theater”: As Opposed to What, Dead Theater?":

It's strange to see someone so upset over something that seems so trivial. Of course calling theatre "live theatre" is redundant, but it wouldn't be my inclination to be offended by the phrase. The author of this article states that its demeaning to theatre but to me, it seems like if anything, it would patronize the viewer of the headline. I guess I can see how calling it "live theatre" may lower it to lesser forms of entertainment like film, or god forbid, television, would come across as cheapening the performance. But to me, an article using "live" in front of "theatre" in their headline just seems like it implies that the reader may be confused as to the definition of theatre.
Student #2 has left a new comment on your post "Don’t Think Pink (in Reverse)":
The trouble with how this article was presented on the blog (through its title and the little bit of the article that is previewed) is that it's not clear that this article is actually connected to theatre. It may have been beneficial for the author to have indicated that it was theatre-related in the title. I chose to read it without knowing it was more specifically related to theatre, just out of interest in reading a perspective on products marketed specifically to females. But it turned out to be much more relevant to theatre specifically, as the main focus was on marketing Broadway shows to men. As the article explains, there is the same situation that always comes from gender-specific marketing. While companies approach it with the (likely) good intentions of trying to acknowledge and reach out to this other audience, the way in which they then try to appeal to them is based on stereotypical generalizations and just ends up isolating this other group. 
Student #3 has left a new comment on your post "For Freelancers, Short Term is Long Term":
This article relates so much with the lecture we had from Joe Pino in Basic PTM on Wednesday, mainly the "Good Intentions are Costly" passage, explaining what to consider when working for free. The lecture focused very heavily on this, determining what kind of work you can and cannot afford to take. This article is something that I think would be important for anyone in our major to consider. For a lot of us, it is likely that we could end up working freelance or considering working freelance and this article presents some really important perspectives to consider. The section I could most connect to my life right now however, was "Fill Your Calendar." It explains that structure is important in productivity. Last summer was the least structured summer I have ever had. Going in, that made me think I could work on a lot of personal projects and that I would accomplish a lot. But without structure, its much harder to motivate myself to work on those things and budget my time to different tasks. This summer, I hope that having more structure will allow me to achieve more summer goals.

Student #4 has left a new comment on your post "Making a Scene, Onstage and Off":
When I opened this article, there was no way for me to know that it was set in Providence, RI but it is, and that was an awesome surprise for me (being from Rhode Island)! How cool that this huge designer, Eugene Lee, lives in Providence! I can definitely see how it would appeal to a scenic designer, the houses on College Hill are historic and beautiful. Sorry to gush, but it is very exciting to learn that the Tony award winning designer for Wicked, Candide, and Sweeney Todd, as well as working for the Tonight Show and SNL lives in Providence! And despite all the work he does in New York, he and his wife have "never considered leaving Providence". I actually do not think I'll end up living back in Rhode Island, despite my love for it, but it's really interesting and encouraging to read about someone who is able to have the career they want, live where they want in crazy house full of things they love, and to have (what sounds like) a wonderful relationship with their spouse and family. I am so happy that I came across this article. 

Student #5 has left a new comment on your post "Architectural Sketching [or How to Sketch like Bob...":
This was a really great article for two reasons. First, it focused on something that feels like a prominent theme of the DP freshmen year curriculum-- the difference in how doing things by hand and doing things on the computer impacts the way you think. And second, it is so interesting to have someone go through their own sketching process. I know this comes to no surprise to anyone, but I prefer working on paper than the computer. Even as I (slowly) improve and develop my AutoCAD abilities, I know no matter how proficient I become, I will never feel connected to work on the computer the way I do when its something I can touch. I see the merit in CAD, especially for the technical aspects of drafting and in class this year, there are assignments where, even AutoCAD deficient me would chose CAD over hand drafting. But for designing something feel like I couldn't sit in front of a computer and realize my ideas. The process of sketching is a part of design to me. I have ideas, I start to sketch, I have new ideas, I work it out on the paper as I go. That process influences what the design becomes.

No comments: