Monday, October 20, 2014

Vote For Comment of the Week

Voting ends Friday noonish...

Student #1 has left a new comment on your post "New GaffGun Simplifies Process Of Laying Gaffer’s ...":

May god shed his glory upon those who hath pulled this mighty sword out of the stone of cable management. Armed with this holy weapon, many a technician can tape down even the most wryly cables with ease. Though sold for a steep price on the open market, passing up any such investment should prove folly to those who are of the kind who regularly find themselves on all four hands and knees tasked with the excruciating burden of fastening communication lines to the floor. This excites me, as I know now that there is salvation from the hell of taping down cable. 
Student #2 has left a new comment on your post "‘Ten Commandments’ Sphinx Unearthed":
You know, you could make a movie out of this. It could be a post-apocalyptic comedy about a society of refugees that have found shelter in the wetlands of Central Florida (you know, if it's not an island or totally underwater by this point). 

They stumble upon the gates of of a lost kingdom full of large sanctuaries full of magnificent and fearsome creature frozen in time. In the middle of the kingdom is a castle, with a tall tower from which you can see in to the horizon. In the distance, the roaring of animals is heard, as if a multitude of different species of creatures have all escaped from their prisons and entered into a land of which they are definitely not indigenous to.

What kind of beings built this place? A society of mysterious people who fashioned vehicles in the form of giant drinkware and flying elephants and who appeared to have worshipped a mustachioed gentleman and his sidekick, some kind of mutated giant rodent. 
Student #3 has left a new comment on your post "Dear White People: Justin Simien Interview":
This is the movie I have been waiting my entire life for. Growing up I never saw anyone like me on TV. I would always have to try to relate to girls with naturally straight hair and always Caucasian. And if they dared put an African American as the main character they were always embodying some form of a disrespectful stereotype. I am biracial, half black and half white. I specify both because it frustrates me to no end that so often people completely ignore one side of me. And while to some that may not seem like its a big deal, but for me it's like saying half of what make me isn't good enough for you to acknowledge. And because of modern society I am forced to choose which side of me I want to associate with. Problem is there still is the underlying racism on both sides. To speak generally, when someone white looks at me they just seem me as a well behaved and non ghetto black girl. When someone black looks at me they see a black girl who probably has life so much easier because I am naturally lighter skinned than they and appear like I'm trying to act "white".
I'm hear to say I am a person. I am both black and white and I act like how I want to be treated, which is with respect. 
I'd like to think I don't see color, but in reality I make an effort to not let the color of people skin influence how I interact with someone. I strive to treat someone's physical characteristics or outer shell as nothing more than another bullet point on their identity profile in my head.
And that is what make this movie so great because it points out the covert racism that still exists today and we are getting the real views of what it means to be African American and part African American today. So yes I'm still longing for Martin Luther King's dream where people are not being judged by the color of their skin but rather the content of their character to come true because while we may have a black president (who is actually biracial) and no longer have segregated schools we still have a long way to go. 
Student #4 has left a new comment on your post "Backing Tracks: Enhancing The Live Sonic Presentat...":
It seems to me that whenever we (the public) find out that an artist uses backing tracks in their live performance we jump all over them criticizing them for not actually performing on stage for us. I was one of these people for a little while until I realized just what it takes to perform for 2 hours in a hot venue for over 10,000 people. After seeing this first hand I will never think negatively about this again. Now that's not to say that all bands and artists use backing tracks to run their whole show however it is necessary for them to be used at some points. On the other end there are backing tracks that my not necessarily be musical but add to the experience of the show. For example, this article mentions Roger Waters tour of The Wall. I had the opportunity to see this show twice when it came to New York (once at Madison Square Garden and once at Yankee Stadium) and noticed the insane surround effects of bombs dropping and troops marching. For this backing tracks are obviously necessary because for some reason I highly doubt that these events are happening through the playing of instruments. Like what most of the other commenters have said, there is no way we can expect to hear what we hear on record live if the use of backing tracks is eliminated. 
Student #5 has left a new comment on your post "Mike Rowe Explains Why Following Your Passion May ...":
Mike Rowe makes an important point and can be directly applied to theatre. Theatre and acting, directing etc, most certainly take a great deal of passion and creativity, and usually insanity, to pursue it as a career. Without those characteristics, many peoples acting careers would end after their first audition. 
Without a doubt, I will be turned away from more auditions than those I'd book, but passion for this art form is what keeps me coming back. It is what gets me to goo to the next audition and the next audition after that. 
I find myself agreeing with Rowe. "I don't see a shortage of people who are willing to dream big. I see people struggling because their reach has exceeded their grasp." This could not be more apparent than in the Unified auditions. I found that there were so many kids willing to kill to get into some of the BFA programs, but in reality, its mostly the same 100 or so kids who get into the top programs. Not even 100. The talent pool is small, but the "passion pool" is huge. 
Now, it is not my place to comment on someones talent, but I did find it interesting just how many parents were managing their children, in hopes of gaining access to a top conservatory, when their kid lacked ability, but this was their "Dream". 
In contrast, sometimes I find myself in need for some of those peoples passion. I become a little too comfortable. I start taking too much for granted.

"Passion is too important to be without, but too fickle to be guided by. Which is why I'm more inclined to say, 'Don’t Follow Your Passion, But Always Bring it With You.'"

No comments: