Monday, November 06, 2017

Worth a Look - Weinstein

Harder to cull down to just five this week...

Surviving Sexual Harassment On Broadway, And Off: Guest Column

Deadline: Deadline asked three-time Tony nominated actress and writer Sherie Rene Scott, currently appearing off-Broadway opposite Jason Alexander in The Portuguese Kid, about her experience in dealing with sexual harassment and assault in the industry over the last two decades. It’s a subject that partly inspired Whorl Inside A Loop, the remarkable 2015 play she co-wrote and starred in.


Linda Bloodworth-Thomason: I Knew About Harvey Weinstein. You Probably Did, Too

Hollywood Reporter: I always knew I wanted to be a writer. As luck would have it, my first three mentors were Hollywood giants Norman Lear, James L. Brooks and Larry Gelbart. These industry icons not only taught me everything I know about writing, they were also perfect gentlemen who never exuded even a hint of sexual impropriety. It wasn't until a few years later that I began to experience sexual harassment — the producer's hand rubbing my back inside my blouse during meetings; the studio exec who, on my first day, encouraged me to wear a bikini to work (sadly, I actually asked, "Why, is there a pool?"); the talent agent I literally had to wrestle to the ground in order to get out of his house. I didn't know then that this is a man's town, based mostly on male friendships. Forget those iconic letters that make up the Hollywood sign. It would be much more fitting if there was a giant penis casting a shadow over all the women who tirelessly endeavor to rise above this unpoliced playground for men.


Against Allegedly

theconcourse.deadspin.com: There’s a word, and it’s quite short, for how the vast majority of information in this world is conveyed: Said. A person can say something. Multiple people can, together, say something. Old-timers in the newsroom will tell you that a document can’t say something because paper can’t talk, but that’s okay. Another, almost equally short word, stated, will do.


Harvey Weinstein's Abuse Took Many Forms, As I Learned Firsthand

jezebel.com: I worked for Harvey Weinstein from May to August 2014. A successful independent film producer at the time, I had sold him two films in 2005, and produced over 20 altogether, 12 of them selections at Sundance. I was brought on to “fix” an ailing movie, Natalie Portman’s Jane Got a Gun, and then hired—ostensibly as a “fixer,” an “indie expert”—to help Harvey bring indie discipline and ingenuity to large films. When I left, I was paid for the duration of my contract and Harvey wrote me a complimentary letter, but my time there did not end well.


5000 Artists Sign Open Letter Condemning Sexual Harassment In Their Industry

jezebel.com: Hundreds of artists have signed a letter condemning Knight Landesman, the publisher of Artforum, who resigned last Wednesday after being accused of sexual harassment by nine different women. A website for the letter opens on Jenny Holzer’s work, “Abuse of Power Comes As No Surprise.”

No comments: