Sunday, February 07, 2021

Worth a Look

Here are a few posts from last week's Greenpage that might be worth your time...

American theater may not survive the coronavirus. We need help now

Jeremy O Harris | Opinion | The Guardian: Recently, I was in a taxi and the driver asked me what I did. When I told him I’m a playwright, he looked back at me with true pity. “I feel for you people. I’m real poor on money right now, like most cab drivers, but at least I can work … for hospitality and the arts it’s like the light just got turned off. It ain’t right.”

 

Identity-Conscious Casting

HowlRound Theatre Commons: In 2014, Lavina Jadhwani, a text-based director and adaptor in Chicago, wrote a piece for HowlRound about color-conscious casting after directing a production of Duchess of Malfi. In the years since, Lavina has shifted to using the term “identity-conscious casting,” because she believes identity contains multitudes and race is just one part of that. In this conversation, Lavina sits down with Victor Vazquez, founder and casting director of X Casting NYC, to chat about the realities of casting in theatre, moving beyond the concepts of color-blind and color-conscious casting, and more.

 

Lift the Curtain: Tackling the Issue of Unpaid Internships

USITT Webinar Replay « Stage Directions: Lift the Curtain is a group of like-minded individuals looking to end unpaid and underpaid internships by providing information and resources to interns and organizations alike. They’ve come together to address unpaid arts internships.

 

The Black Designer Database Is Connecting Black-Owned Brands With TV and Movie Costumes Designers

InStyle: Sex and the City made Manolo Blahnik and Jimmy Choo household names, and, everyone knows what "an AlaÏa" is — and that the couturier is a "totally important designer" — thanks to Clueless. Even when a brand isn't name-dropped so bluntly, the impact of a pop-culture appearance can be a major launchpad for success.

 

‘Sexism in Post’ Revisited: Six Years Later, Has Anything Changed?

Creative COW: Those eyerolls came in dozens of comments on the article – most from men – many of which sought to tell me I had it wrong or I was being dramatic. (This led me to turning off commenting on all my posts. Not because they bothered me, but because I felt they didn’t deserve to have their nonsensical words immortalized next to thoughtful analysis for young women to see and internalize.)

 

No comments: