Tuesday, November 22, 2022

Sometimes Software Updates Suck

 It was working fine.

a month ago Windows Outlook updated and broke its ability to sync with OutlookDOTcom mail (well played Microsoft)

Two weeks ago I found an update that fixed the outlook web mail issue, but in doing so it cocked up my work email. Didn't break it, just made it a mess - jacked up all my folders (yes, I use folders, sue me, it was working swell).

Today, in an effort to clear up the work email we upgraded to Office 365 Outlook. That:

1. didn't clean up the folders (although I think I can now do it manually without fear of wasting time).

2. BROKE the outlook webmail again (you apparently can't use outlook and Google Workspace concurrently in a single Outlook instance. Microsoft apparently knows this and their workaround is to use two separate profiles - which precludes sharing a folder structure which is the whole point of using Outlook for me.

3. BROKE the connection to my ages old AOL account. This is apparently AOL's fault and not Microsoft, as AOL has apparently (and according to many online likely purposefully) kneecapped the ability to check email from a third party app.

So if you are keeping score, this morning I had four working accounts with one behaving badly and this evening, after an entire day of work, I have two working accounts with one still behaving badly.

Our IT folks badly want me to drop Outlook anyway. This might be enough to do so (really missing Thunderbird this evening).

I've had my AOL for like 25 years. This might be enough to make me drop it.

1 comment:

David said...

After several attempts I have fixed the AOL connection. So there's that.