Monday, August 02, 2010

Adjustment

The work on the house has begun. One (or two) of my cousins have graciously volunteered to stop by and keep me up to speed. Apparently today some of the window glass was replaced and the wallpaper came down in the kitchen; so that's some positive contractor karma. Of course on the other end of the spectrum he sent me an email asking me where the paint was. It seemed pretty clear to me from his proposal that the paint was included. Maybe not. Probably a hashtag for such things: #ifthatstheworst...

I don't think I am going to make the full adjustment to being back before I have to go out there again. A little bit my vacation this summer is like Inception:

I was on summer vacation.
I took on pre-college, a vacation from vacation.
My dad passes and I skip out on pre-college to go work on the house: vacation from my vacation from my vacation.
I work until I am burned out and take a break: vacation from my vacation from my vacation from my vacation.

That's four layers deep - limbo, right? Soon I'll be going back and I guess the layers start to unwind. Too bad I don't get the benefit of the time distortion with each level - this week at home could be like 100 years in real time. Instead I look up and July is gone. I never really even made my to-do list for the summer. Good thing I didn't, it would have gone right in the bin anyway.

I think I see the endgame coming. I only need to figure out a few things. I need to find out how to sell a car...

Anyone in the Chicago area interested in a 2007 Camry w/15,000 miles?

I need to find someone to keep up the gardens on the property after the house goes up for sale...

Anyone in the Highland Park area got a kid that wants to make a few bucks?

I need to figure out what to do with a bunch of artifacts/collectibles that really only have sentimental value. Beyond that I only need for the house to sell. Now, in the worst real estate market in memory I have not one, but two homes for sale. #ifthatstheworst...

With the endgame comes something that finally feels like a list, even if the "end" which at this point is getting the house on the market isn't really the end. Still it's something.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dave,

Sounds like you are staying on top of it. Just know that we are thinking of you back here in Iron City, and if there's anything that can be done to make your layering experiences easier, please let me know.

-Michael (Doc C)