Sunday, November 16, 2014

Worth a Look

Here are a few posts from last week's Greenpage that might be worth your time...

OSHA Cites Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey in Circus Fall

PLSN: A "Hair Hang Act" performance during a Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus show here on May 4 took a disastrous turn when the apparatus the performers were hanging from suddenly fell to the ground. An investigation by the U.S. Department of Labor's Occupational Safety and Health Administration determined the incident occurred because the carabiner used to support the performers failed from being improperly loaded. The failure resulted in the eight employees performing the act falling more than 15 feet to the ground and sustaining serious injuries. A ninth employee, working on the ground, was struck by falling employees.


Part Five: Did I Make the Right Choice?

SoundGirls: Did I make the right choice to return live sound?! I have contemplated for a very long time. Did I still had the energy that it takes? Was I strong enough, mentally and physically? Could I deal with my insecurity? Would anybody give me a job? I knew this would turn my life upside down.

I had a few months to review my decision and while at first I felt that I had made the wrong decision, as time went by I felt that I had to at least give it a try. During the summer I started to tell friends, colleagues, and former co-workers of my decision to return to concert production and they all welcomed me back and offered encouragement and support.


Why The Next "Best Actor" Oscar Could End Up Going To A Team

io9.com: Part of the mystique of the Oscars for best actor and actress is their singularity: Just one person gets each award every year. But, an interesting new development has the potential to turn that notion on its head, opening the door for a whole team, not just one person, to snag the nod.


Employee Protection: The Hierarchy of Controls

Occupational Health & Safety: "Hello, Barry. I have another question for you," said Jerry Laws, editor of Occupational Health & Safety magazine.

"Hello to you, too," I said. "What can I do for you?"

Jerry explained that he was talking to a group of students, and one said that giving an employee a respirator was the best way to protect them from a chemical hazard. He said he remembered my telling him something about controls and employee protection, but he could not remember what it was. What should he tell the student?


Is Neclumi the Future of Jewelry?

Design Milk: I’m a big jewelry nerd so when I spotted Neclumi (thanks to Gregory!) I fell in love. Could it be the future of jewelry? I’m not sure… but I’m excited to see where it goes.

Created by the people at Pangenerator, Neclumi is a projected, interactive necklace.

No comments: