Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Cat Surgery

Last week I found a lump, on my cat. I guess there are worse ways that sentence could end. I do have to tell you though that even though I didn't find the thing on my person, or on any person, that finding it on Trinity has been no picnic. The regular vet referred me to an uberVet who informed me that the lump was in fact a tumor, and because of its location on her hip a particularly nasty tumor.

I got three options for treatment:

  1. Amputate the leg. This is apparently the only way to be sure the entire mass is removed and will not return.
  2. Remove the mass as best we can. This could result in her losing use of the leg anyway, and will likely result in another surgery down the line.
  3. Go for radiation therapy. Which is apparently VERY expensive - oh, and I would have to move to Ohio.

I've elected to remove the mass and hope for the best. The surgery was today, they successfully removed everything they could and have sent it out to be tested. The vet has been very gloomy and informed me that because of the placement he was not able to get much of a margin, which I guess means its all that much more likely to return. I think I will just cross my fingers and hope for the best.

We're going to pick up Trinity in the morning. Can't be soon enough for me.


No comments: