Monday, February 26, 2007

Gearhead

So this isn't as funny as I thought it would be, but it isn't because the idea is off. Its just because I picked the wrong song. I'll have to think about it some more.

Every now and then in interviews we see candidates that are headed toward lighting design and are just a triumph of technology over substance. We'll be trying to get at the idea of a thing, and all they will want to talk about will be the gel color or the kind of gear they used. Recently I made the analogy that when asked what they had for breakfast, they would tell you what kind of toaster they had...

"Well, we have the Toastmaster TOV200 so naturally I had to have toast..."

As sometimes happened with the group I was with the examples kept piling on, leading to probable responses to the question:

"How did you get here."

Which prompted:

"We got in my Ford Focus 5X"

and then:

"We had to turn right at the Blue Ridge Mountains."

Which quickly (and inevitably) became:

"We had to turn right at the R60 Ridge Mountains."

And that, dear readers is how a running gag is born. This will make less sense to those of you not in the technical theatre industry.
This land is your land, this land is my land
From P3351, to P4856
From the R27-wood P6902, to the gulf stream P2360
This land was made for you and me

As I was walking a G713 of G322
I saw above me an endless skyway
I saw below me a R09 valley
This land was made for you and me

5 comments:

Katy said...

I laughed. But I'm a dork.

Anonymous said...

Dave, you R02.

Anonymous said...

I think you need a R39.

cait said...

You know you're beyond dorky when R02 and R60 don't even translate into ouns anymore but are the actual signifiers for colors. Oh man.

I just thought, "Why did Ben just call Dave orenge? Oooooohhhh!"

When I worked all night turnovers in CT, we used to judge the evening successful if it was still L790 outside and not R364.

cait said...

* "ouns" = puns