Tuesday, May 26, 2009

David Wastes Time at Lowes

I had to go buy a replacement mop head today. Hardly seems like enough reason to go to the store actually. Since I was by myself I figured I would do a little recreational shopping - the kind where getting out the door without buying something is "winning."

Although I guess since I actually needed something I couldn't actually win this time.

Row by row through the tool department at Loews isn't something I've done for a while. American's do have a love affair with tools, don't they? The range and options available for something as narrow as a stud-finder are frankly bewildering.

Have you ever heard of a chalk line anchor? I might be getting old, but back in the day we called that a "nail." Check out this thing:

Isn't that what that tapered hole on the clip at the end of the line is for? Kids today...

Here's another thing that caught my eye:


I think this is a cordless, rechargeable matt-knife. Now, if it works, I could see this as a decent tool to have in your bag if you are someone that does linoleum or carpet work often. Those two items always seem to be more than a match for a standard utility knife. But that's a *big* if it works. Even then, $50 seems like a bit much for this application (I can't help but notice only one company makes the thing too.)

Then there was this:


I almost, just barely almost, purchased this thing. When you see it in the display it appears to be some kind of speed-square, but it isn't.

What it is is a piece of 1/4 plate set up with various perforations in it sized to different shapes and sizes of stick stock. There's a hole for 1x2, and another for 1/2" conduit, one for 2x4's, and another for 1-1/2" pipe. The idea is that this thing becomes your foot for when you are cutting something on the floor. You know? When you need to cut that board and you run it over your foot and then cut it off on the end? So instead of using your foot, you use this thing, which is good for your foot.

Beyond being good for your foot though, the holes are sized such that you get some cam-action from the plate as it settles to an angle between itself and the stock. This not only holds it up, but also according to the display can keep round stock from turning. Pretty slick.

I get the feeling that in the smaller stock sizes one could wind up with more of a bender here than a vise, but maybe not. And for the larger sizes it seems like a really cool idea.

2 comments:

will said...

i must admit i almost bought one of those plate vices the other day as well. this despite not having done any shop work in three years or so

k hines said...

"plate vise"? Looks like a "board with holes in it." Luddite laughs.

>K