Thursday, June 18, 2009

So Are You Ever Going To Blog Again, Or What?

Yes, things have dropped off some. The "shorties" are piling up and while entertaining just, just aren't the same. So, what the hell happened?

A couple of things.

First off I've really been fighting the tendency for this to become David's emo blog. Mom died, it's been, it still is real hard; and much as I have a lot to say about the subject I just don't think this is the place. My Facebook status updates from January were rough enough. I don't think anyone needs month after month of e-grief. There's also the situation with my Dad and his process and current events; and again, although interesting, and by no means tragic, just aren't tight for here.

Then there's work. There have been two real over-riding work stories this semester, neither of which I can really write about much here. The first is that I got a new boss in January. The transition went about as well as you would think getting a new boss, mid-year, just before the University announced campus wide cutbacks would go. It's been rocky, my personal situation (read above) didn't allow me to handle it all that well either, and none of that makes for appropriate blogging. Although again, it could be interesting to read in some other context.

The other real work story is that among the university cutbacks my new boss has managed to still get hold of some "honeymoon" money. My major non-academic project for the last few months has been working with several other people trying to determine how to spend what we did manage to get. Normally I think I would have written about that a lot, but "under the current financial conditions," it didn't seem appropriate to be talking about how we're going to spend money when even within the same department we were making cuts in other places.

And BSG ended and the season of SCC ended and it was canceled. I could write for hours on end about reruns of The West Wing: "Do you think Toby was right when he told Josh that someone running for President can't be a person who had to be asked to run, that they have to think the universe has conspired to make them President?" But, just seems less than.

There have been other things. I got tenure (although we're holding our breath a little until 7/1). My sister had a baby boy. Kevin & Diane had a baby girl - and they just closed on a new house. It rained a lot yesterday. Some people just down the block appear to have had a flood of sorts, and there's a fleet of electrical trucks down the street. Tivel has been out for two days now and I am afraid that it's gone from "out" to "missing." Brey'Tak got his spring shave. Mrs. TANBI survived a second round of personnel cuts at her job. In the midst of the blogging drought things are as busy as ever. I just haven't managed to get to writing.

I'll see what I can do about that.

1 comment:

Raising Them Jewish said...

Well, I appreciate the updates.. Kevin has a daughter! That's wonderful. I understand the cuts at work, I just got the notification about an upcoming 4% paycut. I'm really hoping for the option where the paycut comes with days off, not just a straight reduction in my pay.

I'm sorry that things have been so hard. Unfortunately I have no wonderfully encouraging words.

I hope you enjoy your time in Cleveland, and that you and Mrs.TANBI have fun.

I can also say that it's not like my blogging has been doing much better. At least your shorties keep filling the space...