Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Random Photos

This installment of Random Photos begins with a picture of my friend Peg. She's very photogenic, don't you think?


For our next show we are building a staircase that runs from the stage off into the wings and up to the midrail. I was trying to get something that showed what the actors would be looking at when they were at the top about to enter.


Really the picture is not the same as standing there looking down. It's WAY up there.

Here's an install photo from our current show. The tagline should be something about a level.


In class last week we made cove moulding by running the stock askew to the blade on the table saw.


It turns out that this was even for me something I had only heard about, so I thought it would be fun to do. A good time was had by all.

Another shot of the leaning scenery of the Chosky. The important bit here is the inaugural deployment of our new FTSI automation gear.


More photos and video to follow.

This was my truck Friday night after work:


If you've been watching the news you know its pretty much been downhill from there. But apparently we're back to work tomorrow.

4 comments:

Peg said...

No, really, thanks so much.

L Jean Burch said...

I have not made molding on the table saw in quite that method (I have used molding head bits previously) the technique looks interesting.

However, should that piece of wood kick back, the girls fingers are directly over the board and in danger of being cut. I only say this because the above photo is much like the position I was in when cutting molding a number of years ago when the board kicked, flew off the saw and my fingers touched the blade...

David said...

She's probably just short of the blade inthat position, but point taken.

Interestingly since most kick seems to be about binding and in this configuration there's very little to bind and add to that that the process requires nibbling less then 1/8" of depth per pass, I feel like kickback isn't so much an issue.

Still, would pay to be doubly vigilant for checks and knots.

L Jean Burch said...

As in all mishaps, accidents occur for lots of reasons - part of my experience was that my fingers were actually snagged not by the board leaving and me pushing them into the blade - but by swinging them into the blade as I reacted to the kick back. And as it always seems to be - it was late, after too many hours on the clock, and I was taking a little more off with the cut than I should have been (but didn't know any better at the time).

Never hurts to spend that extra few minutes being careful!

Hope to see you at USITT.