Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Worth a Look

Here are some articles from last week's Greenpage that might be worth your time:

Tomorrow's Power Casting Directors

backstage.com: Here’s a secret: Casting directors like you. They want you to succeed. When you walk into an audition room, the CD looks at you and sees a potential answer to all of his or her problems. “I think people tend to forget we are on the actors’ side,” says casting director J.C. Cantu. “I want them to do really well. I want them to get the part. Then I can go home early and have a glass of champagne and celebrate.”
 

TechShop

Cool Tools: TechShop is a tool shop with a gym style membership. It costs $125 a month, but they have a special right now for $1000 for the year. Their price went up recently, but I am paying $100 a month.
 

Nederlanders Celebrate 100 Years in Business

backstage.com: Every industry has its dynasties. The Kennedys are synonymous with politics. The Fords are the kings of automobiles, and on Broadway the Nederlanders are royalty. Celebrating its 100th anniversary this year, the Nederlander Organization is one of the last family-owned and operated theater and live entertainment companies in the country.
 

The Path

HowlRound: I am a professional playwright. I make a living writing plays. But I haven’t had a professional production in seven years. I write plays for the school market and student performers. For many years I avoided saying the above out loud, in public. “I write for the school market.” I didn’t want to admit to the kind of plays I write because I felt there was the stigma to writing for youth. For kids. It’s not real writing. It’s not writing “real” plays. It’s kiddie. It’s cute. I was embarrassed to admit that the only place I could get produced was in schools. In every social situation I dreaded the question “What do you do?” and the inevitable follow up question “Have you written anything I’ve seen?” The answer was always no. And that seemed to make me less of a playwright. It meant I wasn’t living up to the expectations of what a writer does, or who a playwright is. I wasn’t following the traditional path to success.
 

Pittsburgh Playwrights' Theatre Festival in Black & White

Theater Reviews + Features | Pittsburgh City Paper: A decade ago, Pittsburgh Playwrights Theatre Company had a wild idea: Why not solicit short scripts from black and white dramatists, then have the plays directed by members of the "other" race? Pittsburgh gushes theatrical talent, African American and Caucasian — and these people rarely meet across color lines.

No comments: