Sunday, November 03, 2013

Worth a Look

Here are some posts from last week's Greenpage that might be worth your time...

When a gaming actress’ nude images leak, who should take the legal blame?

Ars Technica: When nude images of Jodie Holmes, actress Ellen Page's character from Beyond: Two Souls, began appearing on the Internet a few weeks ago (courtesy of a repositioned shower-scene camera running on debug hardware) we thought the story was a little too tabloidy to cover. This kind of embarrassing, tawdry celebrity gossip is pretty common in the entertainment industry, even if it's relatively rare in video games particularly. Scandals revolving around supposedly inaccessible adult content in games aren't completely unheard of, though; remember GTA: San Andreas' Hot Coffee?

PBS Revisits the Panic Broadcast

c2meworld.com: “We know now that in the early years of the 20th century, this world was being watched closely by intelligences greater than our man’s, yet as mortal as his own.” Those words opened the greatest fictional radio broadcast of all time, which aired 75 years ago this month and has been a source of fascination ever since, particularly among those who cherish our medium. “War of the Worlds,” the 1938 broadcast on CBS Radio by Orson Welles and the Mercury Theatre on the Air, is the subject of a video documentarythat premieres Tuesday Oct. 29 on the outstanding PBS history program “American Experience.” I recommend it highly.

Casting Aladdin: Where are all the Middle Eastern Actors?

Arts in Color: I have been very lucky to have been working consistently in theater for the past 5 years. I have faced many struggles as an actor of Middle Eastern descent but I am happy to say that I have found a way to make it work. I am not normally the kind of person who makes a stink about things, but something has recently happened in the Broadway community, and I feel so strongly that something has to be done. Unfortunately, I haven’t posted any of my thoughts about it, because I am trying to protect my own career. I fear that if I do speak up, I will be blacklisted by the producers, casting director, etc. I also don’t feel like I have a big community of minority actors that would have my back if I did raise awareness about this issue.

Drag performers of decades past reunite for one last ball.

Theater Reviews + Features | Pittsburgh City Paper: Thanks to vehicles like RuPaul's Drag Race, drag has gotten pretty mainstream. But it wasn't always so. And audiences can witness living proof of Pittsburgh's rich, if largely hidden, drag heritage, especially its African-American incarnation, on Oct. 26. That's when "One More Time, An Old-School (Drag) Ball" reunites — perhaps for the last time — retired performers whose careers date back up to a half-century.

Why Women Collaborate, Men Work Alone, And Everybody's Angry

Fast Company | Business + Innovation: It's a study of rare quality that can aggravate chauvinists and feminists equally. But the work of Peter J. Kuhn and Marie-Claire Villeval for the National Bureau of Economic Research may be able to do just that. In their new paper, "Are Women More Attracted to Cooperation Than Men?," the economists found that, yes, women are--and it has to do with relative competence, the degree to which you think your ability matches up against that of your colleagues. In short, men tend to overestimate their abilities and downplay those of their coworkers, while women shortchange their skills and defer to their peers.

No comments: