Sunday, June 19, 2005

The End of the Single Life

This is my last week of being a single guy. As of this time next week I will be married. Last week we were talking to the officiant for the wedding and she asked what we thought would be different after. Neither of us have a good answer.

Should we have a good answer?

Many of the things that would be changes in the day to day life of newlyweds will not be a change for us. I think that is part of the problem with coming up with an answer. It's not like we'll be buying a house together - we did that last year.

Part of it I think is just the way marriage is portrayed these days. Part of it is I think that we aren't itching to start a family. Lots of things are part of it.

Maybe though the biggest part of it is that we don't want it to be any different, that's the whole reason to give it this validation, that it is the way we want it. After you've made a choice for something, people don't ask how you think it will be different. You are choosing what you wanted because that's how you wanted it.

Why would you want it to be different?

If what you wanted was for it to be something different aren't you setting yourself up for disappointment? Asking how it is going to be different seems like second guessing before the fact.

I mean, I am sure some things will be different. A different person will get to pull the plug on me, there will be someone that cannot be compelled to testify against me, my car insurance will go down, all these things will change for sure. But I think for the most part I will be very happy with the status quo, thank you very much.

That was sort of the entire point.

1 comment:

BabelBabe said...

You are absolutely right, in the way that is so obvious it almost makes it a breath-taking revelation instead of an "Of course!" thought, you know what I mean?

Happy week-before-the-wedding, can't wait to see pictures, and tell M I said she will be a lovely bride (I know these things : ))