Saturday, June 18, 2005

I Will Not Stay Up All Night

11:30PM Begin new CivIII game.

"I'm just going to play for an hour or so."

2:00AM Go into bedroom to turn off TV as the movie M was watching has ended and the ONDemand commercial pitch is five times as loud. Note: do this without quitting the game.

3:50AM Can see the end of the game now. There is absolutely no chance I will lose. Calculate that the game will end in 16 turns.

4:30AM Click the "launch" button on the spaceship screen, ending the game with a space travel victory. Game time roughly 5.5 hours. Notice at this point that the score for a win on this level is less than 30% of the score for losing on the level I normally play and that that game would have ended in less than 3 hours.

5:00AM Curse the impromtu aviary in the back yard as the birdson makes it difficult to doze off.

This is the second time this has happened this week. The games ought to come with a warning. Seems unlikely that I would have done the same thing over 20 years ago just looking at a text screen that said "you are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike."

Figure I might have outgrown this by now.

But no.

No comments: