Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Lets Do One Like Val...

The weirdest thing happened today. I was driving a long way, and after several hours I just wanted to stop and take a cat nap. I really didn't want to lose the time but I was nodding off. It was a hard decision. Then, like a higher power intervened, all traffic on the road just stopped in place for like 20 minutes. I got my nap and drove on. Too weird.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I think I almost understand the private contractor thing going on in Iraq. There was an NPR story about it today that we heard at lest twice due to changing timezones, and then we watched the Frontline episode the radio was promoting. While I still don't really agree, and I still wonder about the amounts and the cronyism that is obviously implicit in the system, I do think that the armed forces really do have a mismatch between the people they need and the people they have. This is the first time I have ever thought it was anything more than the VP kicking profits to his friends. I guess it is more complicated than that.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Is it possible that I do too much at work? I set up an away notice on my work email (the spammers will really enjoy that) and I had to include the emails of 6 other people for "if you're having an issue with this, email this person..." things. I think if I am the point for six other people that either I need an assistant or I should shed some duties. Just a thought, maybe I'm crazy. (oh yeah, I'm not even actually working this month.)

------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you ever heard of the 30/30 rule? The other day on CNN they were explaining that if you are outside and you see lightening, and you can't count to 30 before the thunder then you have to go inside for 30 minutes. Count to 30? Doesn't that mean the hit was 30 miles away? I don't know, but this seems real conservative. I guess it's like bicycle helmets. Kids never wore them when I was growing up and I never knew anyone that got brain damage riding a bike and yet now they're everywhere. When I was growing up we would see the lightening strike and then count out the thunder and when it was like three we were like "wow that was close" and went on with our game. Never knew anyone struck by lightening. Must happen though.

------------------------------------------------------------------

The wedding planning is in the final stretch. Just about everything seems to be settled. Really the only things left on my list are to get a haircut, pick up my tux, and show up. Truth be told that may have been my list right from the time I crossed off "propose."

------------------------------------------------------------------

Today, in the middle of Ohio, where the last time I listened to the radio I believe I commented that I heard Rush Limbuagh on five stations at the same time, I actually heard Air America on the radio. That was the first time. Previously I'd only been able to listen on the internet. It was pretty cool to hear Al Franken over the air. Now if they would only get a station in Pittsburgh.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've always been told that you could find how far away the lightning was by multiplying the seconds between seeing it and hearing it by .2 or .21 which is the average speed of sound per second (in miles).
so the lighting would have struck 6.3 miles away if you counted 30 seconds.

Things you learn living in the lightning capital of the world.

~Sam

(i'm obviously bored.. and very dorky)

Katy said...

where is the lightning capital of the world, Sam? Maybe if you can't count to 30 its because it is right on top of you and you just got struck by lightning, so now you have to go inside to wait 30 minutes for the paramedics?

David, if Sammler has had an assistant all these years, why shouldn't you? I don't know where you'd put her, but a production assistant/secretary wouldn't be a bad thing to have... granted, finding the funding might be tough, especially once all the other option heads want them, but still...

BabelBabe said...

I'm so honored : )

Sometimes I worry my blog is too scattered due to that style, but it seems to work for me.

I always thought that however many seconds you counted between the thunder and seeing the lightning was how many miles away the storm was. I don't remember ever stopping a game but we had to get out of the pool if there was any thunder or lightning at all. (Of course we were also not allowed to use the telephone, watch TV, or take a shower if there was thunder and/or lightninig. Was my mother crazy or right on target??)

Anonymous said...

Lightning capital of the country is florida, i think it might be world too, but i probably intended to say country. i think we also have the highest death rate from it.

~Sam

Anonymous said...

When I was 12-ish a guy got killed by lightning in my neighborhood-- bolt out of the blue, it was sunny when it struck, I think the ambulance was gone by the time it started raining.

Anonymous said...

Speaking of Al Franken . . .

Watched his show briefly yesterday while it was taping. Yes, the show was live to tape. Yes, the show was broadcast. Who would want to watch radio?

People in Suits look funny when they have big radio headsets on and are sitting in front of mics.

Anonymous said...

*gasp* there's no station in pittsburgh?