Monday, June 04, 2007

I'm Thinking About

It's not ellipses, just some things I am thinking about:

  1. I have all these bookmarks to shopping sites, I wonder if anyone else would like them.
  2. Could LeBron James finally be a real heir to Micheal Jordan?
  3. People in publishing are wondering how they will make up for Harry Potter. I think maybe the last book is just the very beginning of their money making.
  4. Should I bother with Bit-Torrent? Tivo? Just read a book?
  5. I think Berak, Hilary, and the others are teasing us.
  6. How come nobody defends illegal immigrant workers in the media like they defend Wal-Mart? Isn't the impact similar?
  7. How much money would Pittsburgh need for the bus to be free?
  8. I really, passionately hate Comcast. Why do I keep using them?
  9. When you do a project, you should take pictures. When you do a home improvement project, you should take before and after pictures.
Maybe it would be better as ellipses.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

> How come nobody defends
> illegal immigrant workers
> in the media like they
> defend Wal-Mart?

Not sure what you mean here when you say "defend Wal-Mart". Do you mean in general? If so, the answer is, because Wal-Mart is a legal business. Illegal workers are just that: illegal. Do you mean Wal-Mart's penchant for hiring illegals? If so, I don't think I've seen anyone actually defend that in the media nor would I do so myself. We could do a lot to solve this whole problem if (instead of focusing on amnesty and fences) we went after the employers like the hammer of god. If a few Fortune 500 CEOs end up doing a year or so in the slammer for employing illegals, you'd suddenly see the market for this kind of labor dry up like a desert wind. And if there's no jobs at the end of the rainbow, these folks won't be nearly so motivated to come here in the first place.

David said...

No, more about how at the same time it makes things bad it also makes some previously impossible things possible.

We always hear "doing jobs Americans don't want." First, for my buddy Corin from Canada; they are Americans, Central Americans. Second, its not work citizens don't want; its a wage citizens don't want.

I agree though that this is a demand problem. Trying to stem the supply is likely pointless.