Sunday, February 10, 2008

I've Had an Idea


So I am thinking that maybe Bob Knight's retiring from college basketball may not be because he's "tired." The story in the news is that he left so that he could pass the Texas Tech gig on to his son. But I think he's already got another gig in mind: Vice President of the United States.

Is it so far fetched? VP selections are supposed to be people that help you pick up a state. Bob Knight is a statewide hero in Indiana - a state that always threatens to tip republican. With his recent success in Texas he could go a long way toward delivering that state as well. With elections being as close as they have been of late, delivering the electoral votes of two states could be the difference.

Plus, there are other things. Inevitably people will point out Obama's lack of military service. Bob Knight was in the army. Ok so he was a basketball coach in the army, but he was still in the army and that's more than Barak can say. Then there's temperament; I can't think of anyone more able to wrest the "straight talk" label away from John McCain than Bob Knight. Here's a man that speaks his mind, to hell with the consequences. Plus, after having a VP who would shoot someone in the face and then get them to apologize I think the next VP has got to be formidable and I don't think that anyone would argue that Bob Knight is not formidable. I honestly think he could get Dick Cheney to wet his pants.

Then there's the good cop/bad cop dimension. Obama certainly wants to be the level headed good cop. He's going to need someone he can send off to the hill to kick some ass. I can already hear him on the phone "No senator I understand your position, if you don't mind I am going to send Vice President Knight over to explain ours. What's that senator, you've had a change of heart?" Excellent.

And then of course theres the Pat Riley dimension. Chris Rock says that no white man has been responsible for the success of more young black men than Pat Riley. I think Bob Knight could probably give him a run for his money. So who better to facilitate the election of the first black president than Coach Bob Knight. Think about it, I believe it could work out well.

No comments: