Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Well, We Figured Out the Driveway Thing

Remember how I've asked the internet from time to time the best way to deal with the snow on our driveway? Or how from time to time I've had to go through some kind of backflips to get the car or the old truck out when there's been snow? Well we have a solution.

A good solution.

A lazy solution.

We're doing nothing.

We'll keep shoveling the walk, because we have to, but unless the sky opens and dumps like a foot of snow I think we're done shoveling the driveway.

We're fortunate that we have enough space at the end of our drive to pass one car by the other, so on a regular day the order of the vehicles in the drive is inconsequential. Around the year we often see neighbors without the extra space to a kind of dance when one or the other person arrives or has to leave. We're fortunate that we don't need to do that year round.

But for snow days it's this dance that provides the answer. Mrs. TANBI parks her car in the street when she gets home and I put the truck in the space at the bottom of the drive. Then we put her car in the drive and leave it at the top. In the morning she takes off no problem, and then when I leave I just flip the truck into four wheel drive and blast my way up likedysplit.

Zoom.

Just how often is it that the lazy solution can be the correct decision? OK, yes, I know, it isn't the right decision, and some day I will probably get stuck at the bottom of the drive, but I am willing to take that chance. I hate the shoveling that much, it's hard work and with the gravel you can never do a good job, and you always wind up with stones on the lawn in the spring, and, and, and...

So, unless someone comes up with a better solution I am sticking with no solution.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

DIY radiant heat under your driveway, a great summer project!