Sunday, June 15, 2008

Be Careful What You Wish For

So I thought it was weird. A few weeks ago Mrs. TANBI and I went to the movies, we went to see Speed Racer. The thing that was weird was that when we got to the theatre it was all quiet and then when things started up they went right to previews. At the time I told myself that since the press for the movie was so lousy that people wouldn't pay for pre-show advertising since they figured nobody would be there to see it.

Fast forward a week or two and we're back at the movies to see Indiana Jones. This time when I pay for the tickets I notice that the rate had gone up. The cashier said the price changed because they were simplifying the pricing structure - all matinées are one price and all evenings are another, just two prices. So we go into the theatre and once again no screen gems, all quiet.

It's at this point I flash back to probably like the six dozen times I sat in that theatre watching that awful slide show or commercial after commercial thinking "Geez, I would pay more if only I didn't have to watch all this crap."

Poof, so now I am paying more.

Truth be told, I think I stand by my original statement. It really was nice to go to a show and you know see the show. That preshow shit was criminal and I am glad to be rid of it. I just hope it stays gone. The track record for such things is we get a little break, pay a little more, and then presto the crap comes back. I'll keep my fingers crossed. You cross yours too.

Anyone else notice the same thing?

2 comments:

D Holcomb said...

Bob's Your Uncle: Dueling movie sob stories:

Anonymous said...

The crap at the theaters in DC is fully-produced video content. They even give it a name-- it's called "The 20", which is a reference to how many minutes of your life it takes up. It's basically a combination of promos for upcoming NBC shows (The Office, Heroes, etc.) and car, soft drink and fast food commercials. And it's played at the same volume as the feature film so there's no real possibility of carrying on a conversation with your seatmate while it's playing. It's gotten so bad that the girlfriend and I will claim our seats with coats and then head back out into the lobby to sit and talk until the actual movie starts.

Of course I don't go to movies at the theater much any more. Maybe two or three times a year. After spending the money on a 50" plasma and surround-sound home theatre set-up, my enthusiasm for going out to the movies has dampened quite a bit. The in-home experience is infinitely more enjoyable.