Saturday, March 28, 2009

Pitch in for Mitch?

SO I found out yesterday, definitively, there will be no Mitch this year. I was trying to explain to the Grad1's why this was so sad but I couldn't. Kathryn was there and she goes all the way back to the brief "Two Mitch" era. I think there was even a year where we had them for pre-college and I got Mitch three times in a single year.

I just told the grads that may have been the very best year of my entire life.

What's Mitch? Mitch's Mobile Bar-B-Que of course.

A fixture of the School of Drama's award ceremony at the end of the year (and I think very briefly for the opening welcome picnic as well) Mitch puts out a spread everyone can sink their teeth into. Whatever you can grill, they grill it. They also do a whole table of vegi stuff for the non-meat eaters.

I think if I could have Mitch for every meal it would be a very long time before I complained.

One of the things people like the most about the Mitch experience is dessert. They do ice cream sundaes, make your own with tons of ice cream flavors and all the toppings anyone could possibly think of. Generally I was late to the ice cream thing because the line would be just too long with everyone trying to get theirs.

Sadly due to the current financial situation, there won't be any Mitch for us this year. I briefly entertained the idea of taking up a collection, but it'd be a lot of money, and I am not sure that sends the right signal anyway. I've heard of a bunch of places canceling party like events and then admonishing their people from even doing one on their own dime just because it looks wrong (and here I would have thought that it ws because they thought it was wrong for their people to have to carry the freight). We've had no such admonitions at work, but I think the idea isn't 100% off target.

I guess all we can do is hope that the federal administration has some Bar-b-Que bail out money in their stimulus package. Be hard to vote against that.

2 comments:

Raising Them Jewish said...

Wow- that is so sad. I totally loved those BBQ's when I was there. I feel your pain.

Unknown said...

Oh, so sad! I remember the Three Mitch Year - that was a good year...

I'd totally pitch in to bring Mitch back - everyone deserves the chance to experience those ice cream sundaes. I looked forward to them all summer!