Thursday, September 27, 2012

Worth a Look

Here are some articles from last week's Greenpage that might be worth your time:

Seurat's Masterpiece Comes To Musical Life in Surprise Sunday Performance at Art Institute (Video)

Playbill.com: Think of it as an Impressionist flash mob. Visitors to the Art Institute of Chicago got a musical surprise on Sept. 16 when at the top of the museum's Grand Staircase leading to the Impressionist Galleries, a full-sized replica of Georges Seurat's "A Sunday on La Grande Jatte—1884" was installed but devoid of most of the foreground characters.
 


Steve Jobs’s Complicated Views on Passion

Study Hacks: At a recent media panel, Walter Isaacson remembered the following conversation with the late Steve Jobs:
I remember talking exactly a year ago right now to Steve Jobs, who was very ill…He said, “Yeah, we’re always talking about following your passion. But we’re all part of the flow of history...


California Power Saw Safety Bill AB 2218 Dies in Senate

Professional tool reviews for the average Joe: Last week, the state Senate failed to actually do anything with AB 2218, a rather troublesome yet persistent consumer safety bill that would mandate "injury mitigation technology" on all table saws sold in California.
 



State, Strip Club Fight Over Taxes

WSJ.com: The answer may seem obvious, but it has attorneys in Albany arguing: How is a ballerina different from a pole dancer? New York's highest court, the Court of Appeals, will hear arguments on Wednesday in a case pitting the state's Department of Taxation and Finance against a strip club called Nite Moves that is situated about 15 minutes from the state Capitol.


My Dramaturgical Secrets

2AMt: I have a secret; I’ve started to doubt that dramaturgy is a job. I hadn’t heard of dramaturgy until I held the title. I was instructed to help with research but I offered much more to the room. And in my first production as a “dramaturg” I could see in conversations with the director, actors, playwright and designers that I had a place in that room. I also could see that though I can write a program note, design a informative display for the audience and do research, that is no where near the full thrust of the job I was doing. I knew that my work directly had an impact on the success of the production and I saw my desire for a life as an artist surrounded by artists was coming true.

No comments: