Sunday, March 19, 2006

Sunday at the Movies

We went to see V today. This was of course a risk because much in the same way that I had both been anticipating and dreading the Doctor Who episode on Friday I have likewise had the same conflicting thoughts about this film. Before there was The Matrix there was Bound, and I loved Bound, and then I loved The Matrix and the next Matrix, and that other Matrix (although seeing the third one at the Carnegie Science Center made my neck hurt). So the next film from the same team really had my hopes up - even if they didn't direct this time.

I should at this point say that it is a very good film.

It certainly wasn't what I was expecting, and truth be told I think the marketing people are selling the film I was thinking about, not the one they actually made. So if you were expecting something in the film making vein of Bound and The Matrix, then this won't precisely be what you are expecting. Still good, but different.

I do have to say that watching an entire film where you don't ever really see the face of the main character got to be a little unfortunate - which is funny you know, because I don't think I would have said that about Darth Vader or even Spiderman. Yet in this case, I kept wanting to see some expression on the face of the lead.

Also, in an unexpected way, the plot of the film was somewhat depressing. The environment and the set up are very much a downer, and the ending while affirming isn't nearly as true to life as what comes before. As disturbing and melodramatically drawn as the world of the film is, I can't help but think that we are a lot closer to that world than anyone would like to admit. This world of fear, of political renditions, and of frenzied homeland security just rang too true for me to truly enjoy the film. There's no fault there to be placed with the film makers, they hit the nail right on the head. I guess it just stirred in me a reaction that while substantive wasn't conducive to a day at the movies.

I guess I wish I felt that we had in our world what it took the people of the world of the film to overcome their situation - I just don't. Hopefully it will never come to that.

After the movie? Sushi from a mostly empty Yokoso! Yum.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They are definately selling the wrong movie. Check out the difference between the teaser trailers and the current TV trailer. Also, check out the source. It definately has little optimism or affirmation at the end. A dark, nasty and completely depressing little morality tale. But I didn't expect to see that on the screen. Still, as you say, an entertaining movie.

Interesting that Alan Moore took his name off this one and it's the best adaptation of his work yet. I guess after the excruciating piece of (frackin') shit THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN was he'd had enough of Hollywood.