Monday, March 27, 2006

Sunday Night TV...

... is exhausting.

So let me see if I got this straight (TIVO users beware): Mrs. Santos may have had a little slip and Toby decided to play chicken with the U.S. Attorney. Tony came out of the coma and Anthony was shopping for a gun. Roman came over for a grandkid's birthday and the people across the street are curious. Shane stood up Carmen at the altar and Helena got cut off.

I swear, its enough to make you roll right out and get a DVR. There's enough TV on the one night to last a whole week and that's without seeing The Simpsons, Iron Chef America, or the premiere of the new season of Deadliest Catch.

For a minute it looked like it might get a little bit simpler. L Word finished up their season tonight. But really that is just making a space for Huff, and truly although I enjoy L Word, Huff is the better show (tonight while watching Big Love it occurred to me that the mother in law on that show appeared to be sitting in the middle of a scene thinking "how come I couldn't get the Mother part on Huff?")

I know its shallow. I know I should have a hobby, or be working, or even reading a book. I know my parents saw it happening and did what they could to keep me from becoming a TV junkie. I think in my defense I am very much a functioning addict. I don't rush home to see things, or pass up opportunities to be out to be home watching TV. I don't tape one thing while watching another thing - 20 years ago I might have done any of those things. So at least I've grown a tiny bit.

I can't imagine what it would be like to be one of those "kill your TV people" who don't even have a television in their house. Well, not so much, I can imagine what 12 cable payments a year going into a 401k would be like. But beyond the pure dollar waste, I mean, how do these people even survive?

Do you think if there were a depression era speech these days it would say something to the effect of "A cell phone in every pocket, and cable TV in every living room!"

Poor Carmen, and that Roman in creepy, and I hope Syl is ok, and I sure hope Santos can carry California. And I hope some day my children have more willpower than I do.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm telling you--www.televisionwithoutpity.com.
READ your tv.

David said...

West Wing - NBC
The Sopranos - HBO
Big Love - HBO
The L Word - Showtime