Thursday, April 12, 2007

Knot Dating '07

The interactive peer-to-peer rigging class experience returns. No theme this year :-(


I have to say that this continues to be one of the most successful class sessions I do - probably because I do so very little. Maybe I should take a hint from that.

Last year I wound up learning the Zeppelin Bend and the Double Dragon although they didn't stick very well. This year I think between the USITT session and the class today that the Carrik Bend might stick. Nobody undertook the Sheepshank Man-o-war this year, but we had our first Highwayman's Knot and that's fairly cool - although its no sheepshank.

Former students are inevitably asking "what the hell room is that?" This year rigging is in Doherty, that first classroom on the left when you go in the building. I'm not sure why, other than perhaps I didn't say "my classes have to be in Purnell" and others did. I like getting out of the building to teach though and this room has the moving blackboards and all that. I just wish it weren't like 600 degrees in there these days. We could have done Sauna Knot Dating with everyone in towels and I think we would have been comfortable.

Here's a short clip of me trying to be funny:



If you can't teach anything you might as well provide a few laughs.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

-I did the Sheepshank.
It's a killer knot
Ah...the memories.

Anonymous said...

someone in the class mentiond to me that they found the boy-girl pairing sad, and asked me if we had that my year. I dont think we did.

Anyway, just a thought.

~Sam

I tied every kind of figure 8 imaginable... its my favorite knot because it keeps me from dying while climbing... or at least, reduces the risk.

David said...

I've done the boy/girl pairing every single year to the limits that the course enrollment allows.

Some people just get sad over anything I guess.