Monday, May 26, 2008

Well, This Guys Says A Mouthful

Assessment Changes Everything :: Inside Higher Ed :: Higher Education's Source for News, Views and Jobs: "“I see the focus on outcomes assessment as a dodge from the real problems with the American educational system: that it is embedded in an inequitable and violent socioeconomic system. The kind of policies that would truly help the students with whom I work are not more hearings, campus visits, and testing but adequate funding for secondary education; child care; a living wage; debt relief or, better yet, free universal postsecondary education; an adequately compensated academic workforce exercising free inquiry and building an educational community; and universal health care.”"
I wonder if Barak Obama will need a Secretary of Education...

2 comments:

D Holcomb said...

I hope that Obama will indeed need a Secretary of Education. For my money, he will need one who can turn us away from our current failed system, which promotes mediocrity, wrote learning, and the absence of creative thought. This guy doesn't sound bad.

Anonymous said...

> I wonder if Barak Obama will need a
> Secretary of Education

Free education, free health care, free this, free that. I would hope an Education Secretary would know that nothing is free. This stuff doesn't just fall out of the sky. Someone's paying for it.

Then again, I bet he knows that.