Wednesday, January 26, 2011

I Wonder If I Got It

Today in Basic PTM class we went over the estimating process. I used the Ellipse Wall from last semester's production of Midsummer.

Here's the Description section:


and then the materials:


and finally the labor:


I was wondering after we went through the exercise if I'd gotten anywhere close. It doesn't really matter for class because the lesson is more about the process and what to do with the numbers than it is about the accuracy of the numbers. But that doesn't mean I can't wonder.

Later on I grabbed the Project Manager and the lead from the show and we looked back at the orders. It looks like I was maybe $100 shy on the materials, and maybe we're a little fat on the hours - although the hours ought to be fat because we figured manual layout and cutting and the show actually did CAD layouts and CNC.

Not too bad for on the fly, six months later and in front of a class.

BTW, here's the piece in the show:

No comments: