Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Hidden Treasure

A friend of mine who was previously in my line of work was cleaning his basement when he cam upon this:


Actually he came across exhibit guides from 1987, 89, and 91.  Since he's out of the business he offered them to me, and amazingly I think that gives me a complete set (1987 was the first instance).  This is of particular significance as I'd once heard at a meeting that even the institute doesn't have a complete set.

It's even more interesting for me as one of the item in the 1989 show was Greg Bell's "Shop Build Pneumatic Lift Casters."  I was a student of Greg's at the time he entered that into the expo and I did a drawing for his display and article:


If I have this drawing anyplace in my possession it is likely on a 5.25" floppy disk that would need some version of MSDOS that no computer alive would still read - so having the hardcopy is nice.  Also, this would count as my  first published work, so that's cool to have too.

(ok, I just checked my office and I have all but one of the catalogs.  I'm missing 1999.  Anyone out there have one and willing to part with it?)

No comments: