Sunday, September 11, 2011

Nineeleven

Lots of September 11 stuff today. I suppose that's fitting since it is September 11th. I keep thinking that people's hearts are in the right place, but the "We'll always remember 9/11" T-shirts on sale by the door today at the Michael's just made me think we're possibly overdoing it.

Ten years ago I had started the day with a doctor appointment and had made a stop at the bank to make a deposit on my way into work. The bank had the news on in the lobby and I'd walked in a few minutes after the first strike. I remember hanging out in that lobby for a while. I remember thinking that is was really unlikely that something like that would be an accident. I remember somewhat dysfunctionally that a westbound transcontinental flight would make a good weapon because of the fuel (something I heard over and over on the news later in the day).

I remember thinking "I hope the missiles are already in the air."

The second strike was sometime after I got to the office. I think it's possible I had a TV in my office then and I may have watched some coverage there. They had TV and cable in the treehouse and were watching the news there, a small crowd all day long. They sent all the kids home. There was buzz about how work was high up on some target list because of research contracts. Can't imagine how that could be true.

I remember thinking about my friend Peg, whose commute took her right through the area every day (she'd gone another route that day). I remember thinking about my college friend Michael, who I was certain worked for a company in the Trade Center (he came through fine, although I don't know the whole story). I remember thinking about my friend Stevie, who worked fairly high up in the Sears Tower in Chicago (they evacuated just I case). I wondered about other friends and family in NYC.

I remember hour after hour and day after day of news reporting and thinking maybe some cartoons might be a good idea.

My folks had stayed in California after a wedding. Several of my extended family had done the same thing. My folks had been scheduled to fly the next day. They wound up with a much longer trip then they'd intended. One of my cousins rented a car and drove all the way from LA to Chicago.

I remember fondly how spirited everyone was and how for a moment it seemed like everyone in the US was on the same page.

And I remember that not lasting long.

I'm sure many of the details of the experience have faded. I guess maybe a few minutes to try to remember more each year isn't a waste of time. It's easy to get caught up in the notion of how much I may have agreed or disagreed with actions that were taken in the aftermath. But today I think I'll hold to being thankful that so many of my friends came through ok, sorry for those that didn't come through and their families in their loss, and grateful to everyone that tried to minimize the suffering.

No comments: