Sunday, December 11, 2011

And Another Dino Install

So my Tech Direction 3 class is at it again.  We picked up a third installation for the Dinosaur pieces we built earlier in the semester.  First stop was the Pittsburgh Mini Maker Faire.  Next up was about a month in our lobby at the Purnell Center (someday I'll get some photos of that up).  While the large Steg was in the lobby my boss suggested he thought they'd look good on the green roof of the adjacent building.  So I send an email to someone else who sends an email and lickedy-split we're loading in onto the roof of a building.


Today we had three goals.

1. Don't kill anyone.
2. Don't wreck someone else's building.
3. Set up a nice display.

On the one side the drop was only about 12 feet.  On the other side...


... just a little bit more.

We brought our Stegosaurus.  For this piece its the third exhibition.


We also used the Parasaurolophus.  This piece has been sitting out back of our building since Maker Faire waiting for another showing.



All in all the call went very well; maybe a trip or two more back to the shop than I would prefer, but on the plus side it wasn't raining.

This is the first extended exterior showing for the large pieces.  I've had smaller ones outside for a long time, but not the big ones.  Also, these are different from the ones I've had in my yard because they aren't from the exterior plywood.  Before we took these out we put on a coat of deck seal, but a little bit I'm not overly confident that they will hold up in the weather.  Just going to have to see.  Also the wind is a little bit freaking me out, so we ran a safety cable through every piece on each model.  Plus we tied the units down to the roof with additional cables.

If you'd like in on the Dino Failure Pool, shoot me an email.

The most surprising part of the whole thing for me was how small these things look in this setting.  They could be double their size and still compose.  As is they almost disappear.  Who knew?


They still do look pretty cool though.

1 comment:

Dr. Michael M. Chemers said...

Congratulations, David and team. I'm so glad the dinos have a home, and such a prominent space on campus.