Saturday, April 07, 2012

Out With the Old

If I could just get the momentum up there certainly is a lot to put on the blog.  Like the other day a package arrived at our house with no packing slip.  It wasn't something we ordered, and we can't figure out where it came from.  It was however something we needed.

Odd?  We think so too.

The mailbox for our new house is actually toward the back of the house on the side.  To me this seems inconvenient, but the postman doesn't seem to care.  He comes up to one neighbor, then skirts around our house and through our backyard to the other neighbor.  I guess it makes sense to him.  The point is, that with no mailbox out front we also wound up having no house numbers.  During the construction we had deliveries coming to the house and we needed something, so I did this:


It's clear, high up and easy to see from the street.  For a very long time it sat right next to the building permit for the renovation.

So, it basically remained that way for the better part of a year.  We went to Lowes to look for options but didn't really like any so we didn't do anything.  Really the only people that didn't like it was the pizza delivery guys, and I think that's because we haven't settled on one place, so its always a new guy.  The Chinese food delivery folks have no problem finding us.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago and the mystery package.  No label, no delivery address label even; just a box sitting on the floor of our front stoop.  So we open it up and amazingly discover: house numbers.  Which leads me to this question:

Did you buy us house numbers?

The package sat in our foyer for a couple of weeks and then finally I folded and decided that since we had them, and since what we were using was a sheet of paper taped to a window, and (probably most importantly) since I already had a hammer drill and tapcons, that I would put them up.


So there they are.  We've been speculating where they came from.  I posted the question to my twitter and facebook to no avail.  Mrs. TANBI called her family and got no closer to knowing.  Could it be that area vendors got together and decided to solve the problem for us?  Maybe other folks on the street decided the office supply solution was just a little less than and pulling down property values.  Seeing as how the numbers came out a little off center vertically my pet theory is that someone at this address on another street ordered them and then though they weren't useable but didn't want them to go to waste.  A little bit I feel that way too, but this is still a much better placeholder than what we had.  So for the meantime, out with the old, and in with the new.

If you have any information to help clear up this mystery please shoot me a note.

No comments: