Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Vote for Comment of the Week

This week's comment contenders.  Vote in the comments for this post...

Comment #1a new comment on your post "Study: British Film, TV Production Industry Domina...":

I don't believe it's only the British who are facing this problem. It's Americans, too, and perhaps members of other nations. The entertainment industry, especially the film and television area, is often treated as if it lies under the guise of some big secret. You don't see many jobs or internships advertised readily for it. And, if they are, they often appear under "company name confidential" or the like. So, yes, as I am quickly grasping, it very well can be about who you know. WE are lucky here at CMU to have such a large alumni base, a faculty dedicated to finding and posting jobs, and a great name to put on a resume, but not everyone has that. I surmise it is much more difficult for someone coming from Nowhere, OK to move to Los Angeles and suddenly break into the industry.
Comment #2a new comment on your post "Beautiful and Inspiring Work Spaces We Wish Were O...":
I was just saying in a comment on another article that I don't work very productively at home. This article made me realize that one thing I can do about this problem is to make my home workspace more comfortable and less distracting. I love the spaces that face a window and I'm currently racking my brain for a way to turn my sideways so that I can face the window too! Another thing that I liked about these workspaces is that they're not full of clutter. Some of them have a lot of stuff around- but it is all useful stuff, and the stuff is all organized! I don't have a very good system for organizing my desk, or for my work/art/school supplies in general, for that matter. I have never really been one to sit at a desk and work. At home in Las Vegas I always did homework in front of the TV with my mom! We are currently reading Getting Things Done in PRM. Along with trying to implement that system this summer, I think I'm going to try to find a way to have a more organized, more feng-shui workspace in my apartment so that I can be productive in the comfort of my own home! 
Comment #3: a new comment on your post "Live Sound: Step By Step: One Guy’s Path To Buildi...":
I read this entire article and found it fascinating. I know a modest bit about designing a sound system, I know more about operating them. The author was very thorough without going too far over my head technically. My question to the room is this: At what point does this level of knowledge and execution matter? I’ve been in an hour long conversations about where to place the mic over a high hat. The sound engineer in me would deem that this is a very important decision. But the concert attendee would ask, “does this really matter?” I’d be very pressed to find evidence of how much an audience really notices. If you install a $50K sound system that has been tweaked for 2 days verses a $10K sound system that was installed in an hour, will anybody besides the engineer notice? 
Comment #4: a new comment on your post "How NOT to Deal With Criticism":
A ton of people get crazy when faced with criticism and it's hard to think of something less flattering. Sure, sometimes it's hard to hear someone else criticize your work. It is for everyone. But criticism is usually a whole lot more useful than absent flattery. It's really important to know what to do when it comes up, but no one really ever teaches it. It seems like it is an obvious answer: listen, reflect and evaluate, adapt and improve, move on, but it does not seem to be that simple for most people. Of course, not all criticism is constructive, but it becomes worse the more personal the person on the receiving end makes it. It's much more productive to put it to good use. 
Comment #5: a new comment on your post "Caring for Your Greatest Asset":
Of course I have considered that an injury in the work place can have financial implications. But I have never really thought in depth about the fact that after an injury has been dealt with the worker will operate at a lower capacity and that the company will be viewed internally and externally as unsafe. Safety is really important for an organizations ability to function, no one should come to work and have to put themselves into an unsafe situation. Also safety should be something that no one questions, if management and an outside representative have agreed that regulations are important then workers should implement them with out any questions. Also if a worker feels unsafe management should be doing anything in their power to make sure that they are providing an environment where people feel safe enough to work.

No comments: