Friday, November 11, 2005

Bad Week for Fantasy

My brother in law runs a couple of sports fantasy leagues. Me and the missus are the Pittsburgh Alloy in a Football and a Basketball league. We'd actually done fairly well in the football league, I think we're second. We're not doing as well in the basketball league, but I think that is mostly because we really have absolutely no idea what we are doing.

But regardless of our actions, the last week has been a bad week for fantasy. Clearly it begins with a gut punch to our basketball team. I drafted second in that league, and after my sister-in-law took Kobe, I snatched up Shaq.

Shaq rolled his ankle and will be out 4-6 weeks.

We're off to a tremendous start. As the sports week continues it only gets worse. The night of the football draft, we took a player pretty much because Mrs. B had heard about him that day on NPR. So since that was the name highest up in her head, that's the guy we took. TO did fairly well for us for most of the season, and in a real only in fantasy football kind of way, the Alloy had the unbelievable teamed wide-outs of Keyshawn Johnson and Terryl Owens. Thank goodness you don't have to sit in a fantasy locker room or listen to fantasy press conferences.

This week, TO went and got his self canned.

But this isn't the end of the world. We still have Michael Vick, and he has managed to keep himself remarkable uninjured this season. We also have both the Giants and the Steelers defenses, so there's always a good option there. I picked up Jeremy Shockey at tight end and he has been coming around nicely. And the glue that holds it all together has been our starting running back: (can you guess?) the veteran from Kansas City, Priest Holmes.

This week the Chiefs announced that Priest Holmes will miss the rest of the season with head and neck trauma.

I tell you, the whole thing is giving me some neck trauma. I wonder what's in store next week? Maybe Ben Wallace and Rasheed Wallace will run into each other in a mutual particle annihilation. After this week I would not be surprised.

No comments: