Thursday, November 24, 2005

Thanksgiving Tradition

I am spending Thanksgiving with the inlaws this year. Me and the missus had had thoughts of having the holiday at our home this year - we even tricked out our dining room partially for that reason, but for a myriad of reasons it was not to be. So like last year we're at my wife's folks this year (although it is the first time that they are actually my inlaws.

This morning, just before lunch, we made a valiant effort at starting a venerable new Thanksgiving tradition. My sister-in-law thought that we should play Risk. I'm not sure it worked out that well. Also I am not sure I played like a good son-in-law. The game ended prematurely with my having eliminated my father-in-law and having taken control of Australia, Asia, North America, and South America. My wife and her sister were huddled in Europe and Africa when the game ceased to be fun.

Note to self: think about losing to the in-laws. Although I am uncertain I'll get another chance. Not sure this will become an annual event.

Well, Bloomington was fun. Next my wife's in-laws. I wonder if she'll think to lose?

3 comments:

New White Keds said...

Well, Happy Turkey to you too... I hosted Thanksgiving at my place. Had my Mom and future in-laws. Seemed to go smoothly. But we will see what fallout there is.

I agree, it might be a good idea not to destroy all good will before the meal has even started. Note to self: learn from David's lesson.

Indri said...

OMG. I went with my friend Princess to his friend Jen's house... she and I had never met before, and he was very anxious that she and I like each other, because he likes us both. Well, we played "Spoons" after dinner, a completely vicious card game that involves grabbing for spoons that have been laid out on the table, and she and I ended up wrestling for one... I let her have it, even though I'd had my hand on it first, because a) I have long nails and didn't want to hurt her and b) I wasn't sure if it was cool to fight one's hostess for something. Also, I went to a Quaker school as a kid. I don't fight for things very well.

Now I have a feeling that the evening was not a total success...

BabelBabe said...

NEVER EVER play Risk with people you do not wish to anger or alientate. It is a bloodthirsty and vicious game (that I adore).

Indri - I never met anyone else who played Spoons!! We used to play all the time when I was a kid.