Sunday, November 19, 2006

My Father the Crafty

My father, who just turned, well he's a "seasoned citizen" just sent me a video clip saying he was hoping to make the blog. So how could we refuse that?

The clip stems from a random photo he SMS messaged to me last week which showed a jig he had built for something. The video answered the "what is it?" question. It's a sort of gas lathe for cutting bottles. Here's the video he sent:



Now, aside from the concern that it isn't totally outside the realm of possibility that the entire bottle could shatter this is fairly cool. And all things aside, I guess it's nice to have a hobby.

A little poking around on the internet showed people doing this same thing with strings and gasoline, so I guess the propane torch isn't the stupidest way. I also saw one recommendation to use a hotwire rig, which believe it or not my dad likely has in the basement.

I however have other recollections. You see, this particular activity lies in the storied past of one Ron Popeil. A bottle cutting rig was one of the regular craft kits available at holiday time from Ronco, advertised to distraction in my youth.

For those of you that may have missed the 70's:



I guess cutting glass with fire is more exciting though. Still, if you want to harken back to the days of old, if you hurry you can get hold of the Ronco kit here.

No comments: