Wednesday, July 21, 2010

My Latest Project

I am back in Chicago again. There's a house and its contents and a car and a thousand other details to deal with. Talking about it probably won't be entertaining, but it might help me keep my head straight. Plus there's the chance that this will help someone else who has to go through this in the future - or maybe someone reading will be able to help me not miss something.

As a career project manager working in a new area without a list - I'm not a happy camper. I've tried to find a list that applies but I haven't found one. It's possible I haven't looked very well.

So what did I do today?

  1. Met with the third realtor. It wasn't the happiest meeting. My folks should have sold this house in 2006.
  2. I think I finished clearing out my sister's room. It's the room I am staying in and I really needed a clutter free room to base from.
  3. I called for a "special" trash pickup. That means they'll do more then empty the cans. It doesn't mean I don't have to take the debris to the curb. Bummer.
  4. I moved all the books out of my room. That's the room Dad has been using. It's pretty thick. We have a lot of books to liquidate. Since my last Half Price Books adventure I've soured on them some. So these likely wind up with the library or Goodwill, maybe the Brandeis people if I can figure that out.
  5. I called a family friend who is supposedly taking a bunch of castoff furniture and just stuff. If she can get some stuff off my hands I might have some room to start gathering my own saved items. Maybe.
  6. I unpacked my stuff so I won't be living out of my bags. If I am going to be here more than two weeks that's probably important.
  7. I looked through the benefit information from my Dad's pension. I need some paperwork I don't have yet.
  8. I took down all the photos in the hallway and struck the hangars. We've been going back and forth on painting that space for staging. Today I am thinking probably yes. (Hey so there's an item for a list).
  9. I watered the garden, well some of the garden. And I retied the tomato plants that were falling over.
  10. I emailed the attorney. The lawyer end of the thing has been real loose so far and I think I want to tighten it up some.
Oh yeah and I angsted, worried, panicked, bemoaned and some other things.

And really, it was a fairly light day. Maybe tomorrow I will actually get something done.

No comments: