Thursday, July 29, 2010

The Wall

I think today I hit the wall. This is day 9 without much of a break. I tired to take some time yesterday but failed, plus this was the first day on my own after several days with my sister. The first few hours today... just really very hard to get going.

First thing today, second estate lady called to tell me that actually she and her partner aren't interested. So all the angsting over having approached the thing wrong was probably a waste and we're right back in the road we were in before my meeting yesterday. I guess you could look at that as half full or half empty.

Based on my coarse to do list from yesterday, today was supposed to be the remaining bedroom. That's the room that my dad had pretty much used for everything, it was a bedroom and an office. I wouldn't be surprised to find out he ate meals there too. Basically it was a one room apartment in the middle of a 1600 sq ft house. Because of this it is maybe the densest room in the house in terms of content. The other day my cousin and I took a run at it and made a good start but had to stop because there was just too much that needed to be looked at carefully and it just bogged down to a halt. That happened again today and I wound up going at the room three separate times with other things sandwiched in when I couldn't press on. As a result I still am not done in there, but I did make some headroom in other places too.

I also can't stress how important it is to not go too fast. Today I found cash in sealed envelopes amongst unused office supplies. Would have been real easy for that to have wound up in the trash.

So that room was maybe 50% before, now I think I'm up to about 85%.

To did:

  1. phone with the estate lady, she won't be working with us
  2. phone with the attorney, set up an appointment later in the day
  3. called the trash people for another "special"
  4. called one of Dad's doctor offices to try to figure out what to do with his defibrillator telemetry device
  5. session one clearing in the bedroom
  6. processed what was left on the sorting table in the garage
  7. set out what garbage I could find in the garage
  8. talked to the landscaper about watering - they declined
  9. session two in the bedroom
  10. met with the attorney, signed a bunch of stuff, asked shallow questions
  11. extended the car insurance for one month
  12. emptied all the garbage in the house
  13. session three in the bedroom
  14. moved all the non-can garbage out to the curb (I had some help)
  15. met with the GC to get and give final instructions for the rehab
  16. bagged up most of the food that was left in the fridges, put it out in the trash
  17. started moving some of the items out of the work areas
  18. went to Home Depot for sensors and timers
  19. set up a couple of timers
I think I did pretty well considering how I was a angsty mess at the top of the day. I think I may still be on the schedule I started with, although the schedule after the weekend may be in motion. Just have to see.

Wow, a whole day without going to Goodwill!

No comments: