Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Worth a Look

Here are a few posts from lats week's Greenpage that might be worth a look:

Off to See the Wizard

Theatre Ideas: "As Teresa Eyring notes in her TCG blog, there was a small group of arts 'service organization' leaders invited to DC to discuss the recent #supplydemand issue with NEA leader Rocco Landesman. I was one of those invited. I must admit, I felt honored to be invited to the table.

Does Star Quad Microphone Cable Sound Better? Let's Find Out!

- John Huntington's Blog -: "For many years, the professional live sound community has, for the most part, stuck to actual science to advance our art, and generally steered clear of some of the outlandish, testimonial-driven claims made in the consumer “audiophile” market. However, in our trade publications over the last year or so, I’ve seen advertisements for audiophile’s gold-plated power cables; an editorial in a professional live sound publication offering a hearty endorsement of the rubbish of “The Secret”; and magical claims about star quad cable and its use for microphones on stage in live sound applications. Because cables are an area that drives audiophiles nuts, that article was the last straw for me, and so I donned my best flame-resistant suit, and engaged in a little online discussion with the author, into which I dragged live sound guru Bob McCarthy. You can read the whole exchange in the comments section of the article, but in my final postings I offered to set up a blind test to actually evaluate the author's claims. He never responded.

Fastball

AmericanTheatreWing: "This past Friday evening, I attended the Waterbury CT Arts Magnet High School’s production of August Wilson’s Joe Turner’s Come and Gone, a production that had been debated, then delayed, and about which I had been fairly vocal in my advocacy. The students acquitted themselves quite admirably, but the real discovery came during the post-performance discussion, which included the entire cast, as well as the actors Eisa Davis and Frankie Faison.

The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee

Pittsburgh City Paper: "Blame it on my OCD, but when I see a show I like, I always want to see it several more times to understand why it 'works.' Which is why this Carnegie Mellon University production of the musical The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee is the third I've seen in the past year.

A Second Spider-Man Musical Swings Into Town

NYTimes.com: "Frustrated by the web of delays engulfing “Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark,” the $65 million Broadway spectacle that is now to open on March 15 (if not later), Mr. Moran, an improv comedian and a composer, has decided to beat Julie Taymor and her team to the punch by opening his own show about that comic-book wall-crawler one day earlier, on March 14.

No comments: