Tuesday, August 20, 2013

HEADS!

Today I saw the most alarming thing.

Our back yard, small as it is, does seem to be an episode of Wild Kingdom every now and then.  We regularly have squirrels and chipmunks.  I am fairly sure there is a family of chipmunks in the garden - or where there would be a garden if we kept a garden.  There seems to have been a bunny or two hanging around lately.  Once I even saw a wild turkey.

None of which prepared me for today.


This morning I am puttering around in the kitchen and out of the clear blue sky at like a 90 degree angle comes the biggest bird I have ever seen up close.  I am assuming it was one of the Pitt Falcons, but really it came and went so quickly the best I could testify to was that it had wings.

This isn't my first run in with these guys.  Once when I was teaching in 209 one of them tried to alight on the edge of the window on the Warner Hall side.  This is positioned such that all the students looking at me saw nothing but me, looking over their heads saw what appeared to be a pterodactyl trying to fly in the window.  I'm sure my face looked special.

Anyway.  Didn't see the bunny this afternoon.

No comments: