Sunday, December 23, 2018

Worth a Look

Here are a few posts from last week's Greenpage that might be worth your time...

Do We Really Need to Watch Shows in Silence?

Theatre Development Fund – TDF: Growing up in Honduras, I picked up my knowledge of theatre etiquette from the movies (thank you Pretty Woman and Citizen Kane). I learned that I shouldn't talk, that I should unwrap my candy before the show and that I should sit as still as possible and wait for my cues to applaud and, perhaps, laugh or cry (though never too loudly). For years, I believed I should shun anyone who showed any signs of life while attending a performance.


‘Midnight Rider’ Case: Hillary Schwartz Asks For Shortened Sentence

Deadline: Midnight Rider’s first assistant director Hillary Schwartz, who in March 2015 was sentenced to 10 years probation for criminal trespass and felony involuntary manslaughter for her role in the death of 27 year-old camera assistant Sarah Jones, this morning asked a Georgia Judge to end her probation now. The Judge has not yet ruled on the motion (read it here).


Why I Broke Up With The American Theater

The Lark: As I waited for medical professionals to wheel me into the operating room, shivering under two blankets, I felt scared. I felt alone, and, for the first time, I wondered why I was there.

The obvious answer was I got injured while working on my last show. I suffered three herniated discs in my neck, and a badly injured back. It started as a back injury which I told stage management about twice. But I understood how stretched stage management was so, when nothing was done, I kept going. Until the major injuries happened.


San Diego Opera planning 'hackathon' on cutting-edge stage technology

The San Diego Union-Tribune: Hackathons have become an annual tradition for engineering and other students at UC San Diego. Now, the cutting-edge style of these cross-discipline innovation summits is coming to the world of opera.
Next July, San Diego Opera will host what is believed to be the nation’s first large-scale arts-themed Opera Hack event at the Microsoft campus in San Diego.


Is It Time to Rethink "Men's" Class?

Dance Magazine: Next semester, there'll be a new course name on the syllabus of Boston Conservatory at Berklee: "Constructed Gender Identities in Classical Ballet: Men's Variations."
But this is not a new course, just a new title. The old name is one you might recognize: "Men's Class."

No comments: