Saturday, November 20, 2004

"The Man"

So I have to admit it, the man is really holding me down. I was explaining to a friend today about how I had to pull yesterday's entry and he lamented about how there really was no free speech in our world. I guess on some level he's right. On another level I guess there's nothing keeping me from saying anything as long as I can live with the consequences.

I had the thought to maybe post the thing like this:

So I have to admit it, the man is really holding me down. I was explaining to a friend today about how I had to pull yesterday's entry and he lamented about how there really was no free speech in our world. I guess on some level he's right. On another level I guess there's nothing keeping me from saying anything as long as I can live with the consequences.

and then leave it to the reader to figure it out as an exercise. I actually posted it like that for about ten minutes. But then I figured that all in all that was the same as actually posting it. I'm the one who always gets upset for shows that bleep or pixelate what you can figure out in context, why not just leave it. The webdings above in the end feel like some sort of corporate "there are no bad ideas" pixelating policy.

So we won't be doing that.

In the end it really does bother me that I can't bring myself to air something I think is real funny because of the possibility that someone influential might be offended. I mean, I get the idea I shouldn't tell the monkey joke in class even if it does encapsulate estimating very well - as it is off color and not appropriate for the class room. But this is not a class room, this is something else, even if a student or two (or six, ok all of them) actually reads it.

Ugh, I did not think having a blog was going to lead to ethical dilemmas. Maybe I'll do what TBS does to Sex in the City. I'll just delete the offensive words and leave spaces. It would be like "Go ____ yourself!" No, that won't help either. Too much angst over a hobby. There must be something else to write about.

1 comment:

Katy said...

And now I feel dumb because that monkey joke was really funny sophomore year and now I can't remember it. Remember that its not a classroom and tell that joke at least. Maybe you could make a post of all the things that you used to include in class lectures before you decided to maybe keep your job for more than 3 years.