Thursday, February 24, 2005

Chris Rock racist?

Are you kidding me?


Legislators are calling for the resignation of a Florida official because he showed a clip from Rock's HBO show called "How To Not Get Your Ass Kicked By The Police." Apparently these legislators don't think this is appropriate material for a meeting with the NAACP, although reportedly nobody from the meeting complained.

I have to say I think that this bit is tame compared with the "Blacks and Niggers" routine he did on his first HBO special "Bring the Pain." I've often wondered why HBO always re-runs "Bigger & Blacker" while shelving the first one. I've always thought the first one was stronger. Rock was on 60 Minutes recently in a run up to Sunday's Oscars and said that they got so many complaints about that bit that he's never done it since.

That's too bad. People ought to recognize satire as commentary and not perceive it as threatening or as offensive - or in the very least there ought to be a sort of "eat your peas" recognition that even though it might cut you that it is still good for you.

Hopefully this group in Florida will get it sooner or later.

2 comments:

Peg said...

I'll make the pun and say, rock on, David. People just need to calm down! For so many people (of all races) talking about race is talking about sex; it is just simply not done. Chris Rock is a funny motherf**ker and his humor is sometimes uncomfortably funny for blacks and whites alike. All the more reason for him to keep on keeping on.

Anonymous said...

Once again, I feel I am in a postion where I should apologize for my state. I'm sorry. Floridians are dumb. We can't really do anything right.

Chris Rock is the only reason I am watching the Oscars this year.

rdb