Sunday, February 13, 2005

Waffles

No its not about breakfast. I'm not allowed to eat waffles.

I've been thinking about a lot of my answers to the posted questions. I feel like I waffled on most of them. Part of me feels like this is a good thing, that it is representative of a life that at the moment is fairly complete - without much longing for other things. Part of me feels like I just couldn't think of answers. Part of me feels like its a bad thing because I couldn't really commit to an answer, but mostly didn't care.

Its interesting to me that there isn't one thing I would like to undo, one person I would like to meet more than any other, one place I would rather live, or one thing I would rather be doing. All with the "all other things being equal" caviat.

Does this mean I am thrilled with the path I have taken to teaching college theatre in Pittsburgh and there's nothing else I would rather do, anywhere, with anyone? Is it functional to answer that question either affirmative OR negative?

Maybe its just that the priorities expressed in those questions don't cover the entire experience, and that my choices emphasize other ideals.

  1. What is the choice you have made in your life you are most proud of?
  2. Who is the single person you've ever met that was most exciting/important/inspirational to you?
  3. What is it about where you live that you like the most?
  4. What is it that draws you to what you do?
Phrased this way I think the questions I waffled on don't as much assume that there is something wrong, or missing, or unsatisfactory. But the way the other questions are laid out, especially trying to answer all of them at once, seems to imply a deficiency.

I know that being safe and content does not eliminate wants, I guess it's just more worth celebrating in and of itself before looking at what else could be.

1 comment:

Peg said...

You know I've been thinking about this too... lots of the questions were of the "if you had to choose between saving your baby daughter from an oncoming train or your mother from drowning, which would you choose?" variety. But if you tell someone they can ask ANY four questions, you have to expect people to go for the drama as opposed to "coke or pepsi?"
Looking at my own questions, the "if you could only meet one person" one would be pretty much impossible for me too... life is too open and wonderful and infinitely varied to have to choose just one.

I liked the "if life had a do-over button" question... and I prefer to think of it in the positive, as in "tell us something you did that was so cool, that you loved so much, that you'd go and re-do in a heartbeat." And that doesn't mean that you'd have to give up the happiness you have now... me, for example... one of the things I'd pick would be my trip to California in February of 99. Loved every moment of it and have lots of precious memories of it. Does that mean I don't love Scotty or that I wish my life would be different right now? Does that diminish his importance in my life in any way? Nope.
Interesting game.