Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Referrals

Did you know that the counter on this page tells me what page referred each viewer? If you click on the counter, and then on referrals, you should be able to see what I am talking about.

Most of them come up "unknown," which I assume means that whoever it was has the site bookmarked. There are the odd number of hits from Ellen, Val, Peg, and Andrea. There are quite a few from the blogger composing page, which I can only assume are me. There are also some from random other blogs, which I guess are from when people hit the "next blog" button on the top of most blogger pages.

The most interesting ones though are from the search engines. If there is a search engine page referrer and you follow that link, you can see what the person was searching for that lead them to you. Only once has this made any sense to me. Some time ago there was a search hit for "mydaddidntliketheurl." I guess that was someone that new the url, but didn't actually know the url.

Other ways though it is an interesting way to be reminded what you had been writing about. The other day I saw a hit on my page while searching for "American Standard Toilet." A while back I did an entry about a home improvement where I fixed the toilet and that's what the search engine found. Today I saw one there for "extreme home makeover goth" which hit my page because of something I wrote about the ABC show and on the same page there was a "what high school clique were you" quiz that didn't work very well.

I really only bring this up because yesterday there was a real high volume of hits on the page, and the referrals thing said it was because people were searching "etheridge grammys bald." A while back I crossposted a notice I got through a mailing list saying to watch the Grammys because Melissa would be presenting. The actual even must not have been covered very well, because if you searched it yesterday you didn't get the grammy page, and you didn't get the MEIN page. Mostly it was just some random web pages, and this blog came up third.

If you search it today I've been bumped considerably. But just in case, here's what people were looking for:

I am having all sorts of Star Trek the Movie flashbacks. Isn't that Commander Ilia?

I have to say I did think it was pretty brave to come out in such a public venue showing such a private victory. Truth be told I don't think people really knew what to do with it. In my head while I was watching I kept hearing the director telling them to point the camera at the singer with the hair. But maybe not.

She was real good that night. I will forever think she won't nail that song like she did one time I saw her in New Haven. But I think she got the hammer pretty solidly on the head at the Grammys. But I am not an impartial observer.

Today I saw a link to a story that said that she gave each of her kids a ponytail from her hair before she lost it all. That's pretty cool.

I wonder what the next search engine referral will be?

No comments: