Sunday, February 20, 2005

USITT

This year I am doing three things for USITT. I am on the Tech Expo committee, and will be assisting with that display. I am on a knot tying panel, for which I believe I will be a roving knot tying tutor. The biggest commitment is that I am chairing a panel on shipping and trucking called "Get your show on the road."

I don't know if anyone that reads this is not on my email distribution, but in case someone is, I have been soliciting topic requests for the session. I'll do so again here.

If you were attending a panel presentation about trucking, what question would you hope to have answered?

Some things people have already suggested:

My questions would be about overseas shipping and/or crossing borders in North America and the best way to handle those situations; customs info, shipping size and shape for overseas cargo, additional taxes or fees, that sort of thing.

I'd love to hear if any of these companies are looking into cost-saving measures such as using biodiesel fuel and/or used vegetable oil and making the minor modification to their diesel engine

Add a UPS rep to explain the difference between zones AND UPS Orange, Sat Del X-tra charges, the 3 different times for delivery of overnight packages, COD charges, etc. etc.

the way things are oriented in the trucks, and how they are loaded in
regards to what goes up/comes down first is key

What is an acceptable tip for truck drivers who perform excellent service?

In some areas (mainly west coast) there are roads that trucks can not
get down. Is it the responsibility of the tour, the location (venue)
they are going to, or the trucking company to be aware of these roads
and make the proper adjustments along the way?

1) How to Properly Use Truck Logistics, i.e. rachet straps, load bars, packing blankets, ramps.
2) Drop Floor Pack vs. Flat Floor Pack
3) "Double-packing" with a load bar shelf
4) Load Limits and Proper Weight Distribution

We have all heard the stories of containers falling off ships at sea, does
this really happen all that often or is this a myth?

I think if I were to attend one of these sessions, I
would want to learn more about import/export procedures taxes, duties, and
commercial invoices (manifests).

The age old favorite, "what is the size of the truck?"


I think we could likely get to all of this and more. Anyone else got thoughts about what might be a good thing to talk about?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My dad drives truck now and there are many DOT regs to take into account:
1) how much weight per axle
2) How far apart the axles are set- this rule changes per state
I would either get a DOT rep or talk to one before.