Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Anyone Know Anything About Outlook?

Spent a goodly amount of time today doing away with Mulberry and trying to get up to speed on Outlook. After what seemed like too long I got just about everything working except...

Anyone out there got any idea how to get Outlook to put a sent item into an IDAP remote folder instead of into the "Sent Items" folder it wants to use?

I found the option to put it in another folder when sending, but it won't allow a folder that isn't part of the default tree. If I want to be able to see things I send both from the home machine and from the work machine then I need something that will send the messages to the server.

Puzzling.

2 comments:

David said...

the school hasn't exactly moved that far into the present.

Anonymous said...

As you might expect, I have the answer to this question. However, it is not as simple as it ought to be.

Oddly enough, you must first configure Outlook NOT to put a copy of each sent item in your sent items box (because it will only end up in the default folders, where you don't want it). Then you must create a rule for messages sent from your cyrus account, to drop a copy in the correct sent items folder. If you manage more than one e-mail account from outlook, you should also create rules for e-mails sent from your other accounts to end up in those correct sent item folders.

That's about as good as I can explain it while on vacation. I'll be back by the end of the week and will help you out if you haven't busted the code by then.

Cheers.