Thursday, June 29, 2006

I Want my Money Back

Have you followed what we've been up to in the US Congress recently? We've done gay marriage, flag burning, line item veto, and a resolution on the war that nobody thought had any chance whatsoever of passing. Just what is going on there? Have they lost their clipboards? I am sure that everyone must have had some fairly extensive to do lists, and any legislator with their eye on actually governing would not have had any of those items on their list.

Weren't we right in the middle of some huge debate over immigration and border security? Did they just decide that was going to be too hard and leave it go? Congratulations everyone, I think we've officially entered the fall election period - so much for governing. Now we only have time for posturing.

It must be possible to look at what an individual pays in a given year in federal taxes and break it back to what percentage goes for what services. Just like I want to call the cable people and demand a pro-rated refund whenever my service gets all Comcastic (you know, sucky), I really feel like I would like to see a pro-rate refund of whatever I paid for the last two weeks of congressional operations. Whomever they were working for this last little while, it certainly hasn't been me.

Don't these guys know there's a war on? Or at least some kind of un-officially declared but congressionally sanctioned military intervention. You would think we have important things to do. Weren't they going to save social security? Did they get around to that yet? I seem to recall something about education reform. I don't recall anything actually happening. I think we were supposed to be going to Mars. To my observation nobody is packing or anything. Wasn't there a Medicare emergency? Rebuilding the gulf coast? Fixing FEMA?

Gay Marriage...
Flag Burning...
Line Item Veto...
War Posturing...

I don't have the congressional agenda, but can partial birth abortion be too far off? I understand this fall they are going to add a harmony to the gay marriage debate and take up gay adoption. With all the time legislators spend talking about it you would think that the country was like 75% homosexual. I haven't talked to everyone, but I am fairly certain that's not really the case.

I find at work now that things have really shifted to a service mentality. How is it that attitude hasn't gotten to government - you know: public servants? At the moment I feel like the service sucks. Respectfully I think I would like a refund. I bet I'm not alone.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The flag burning amendment was close, while I agree it was generally a waste of time I like to see congressmen making an effort, no matter how partisan it may be.

Peg said...

I must respectfully disagree -- I see no effort at all on the part of this Congress to enact any meaningful legislation whatsoever.

Now that we're getting close to the November elections, the GOP is pulling out those play-to-that-rabid-right base topics that ultimately accomplish nothing.

"Effort" like that is in a sense worse than no effort at all, because it deludes people into thinking that the government is hard at work. Even the Dems look like they're doing something, when they themselves are just as pathetic. All defense, no offense, no meaningful legislation proposed from them either. It's incredibly frustrating.

Katy said...

Totally not on topic at all:

1. Six (6) more posts and that blog sound will be off the main page. I think that a post about each of the following would be good: kittens, other cats you've had, your lovely wife, your yard/house, more scanning, your famous sister... or really, six posts about anything.

2. CSSI is going to be some sort of ETCP Recognized Employer... as soon as I send in the form on Wednesday... it missed the mail today.