Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Ellipses...

Mrs. T. wants off the top of the page. I do what I can for her... I heard that more than 50% of medical bills in the US are currently paid by local, state, and federal government. If we're already doing that I can't understand why anyone would object to single payer... I think there was cat poop on the stairwell at work. Curious, as there isn't a cat at work... Rustin said the thing I taught him that stuck with him the most was "Move the trashcan." At the time that seemed a little belittling. I've given that speech 5 times in the last 24 hours... I do think that the issue of sources and methods is not one that is black and white. But I also think that grey things can still have rules... Really, really I need to pay bills... Which is better: dentist appointment or committee meeting? I picked committee meeting... The cat won't hold still for working out the mats in his fur. Guess he's going back to kitty spa... It's just like being in fourth gear, dropping it into first, and then trying to jam it right back into fourth. Not good... Torture should be illegal, maybe not completely banned, but definitely illegal - like murder. If you elect to do it, you should know there will be a trial... CMU has that lovely CMU odor again this week, the smell of my college experience, that's right: shit... I can't figure out what is missing in my classes, but for some reason we have the most curious difficulty actually placing the set where it goes... I am getting a predominantly positive recommendation from the renewal committee. One down, two to go... Today was the first day this semester I actually felt like I wasn't behind. Then today ended... Studio 60 didn't have a "Your boss sure has a funny name" scene, but it looks promising... I watched that 9-0 game all the way to the end. I may have completed the transition to 100% Yinzer... ALL OF THEM!!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

the most important thing i learned from you (or at least the skill i use the most) is how to fold drawings so they fit in a FedEx envelope... and i would have picked the dentist appointment. with that, at least you know the pain is going to lead to something being better. with a committee meeting, the pain just leads to more work!

- lindsay

Anonymous said...

ps... studio 60 looks like it has potential... but was it just me, or did some of those sets look like leftovers from the west wing? and they used the same font for the headings!

Anonymous said...

If it makes you feel any better, the lecture on moving the trash can has come in handy these last few days. It is a hard lesson to learn, and it seems so simple, but you really got it across very well. But.... the tidbit of Boevers wisdom that is the most outstanding in my head... "it takes 40 hours to carve the buddah" It is so true! Totally worth my tuition.


- Julie

Anonymous said...

nothing takes less than a half an hour... and if you're doing ti with springs, you're doing it wrong! - lindsay

Anonymous said...

> Torture should be illegal,
> maybe not completely banned,
> but definitely illegal - like murder.

Murder isn't banned? I'm not sure what else we could put in the penal code to make it more clear that murder is pretty much out as far as behaviors go.

David said...

I really do think in this context there is a difference between "illegal" and "banned".

We have legal murder in this country. It is called self-defense. I guess the question is if there is an analog when it comes to torture - although its a fairly creepy question.

Anonymous said...

> We have legal murder in this country.
> It is called self-defense.

Well, that's not entirely accurate. (Here comes the lawyer in me, bubbling to the surface.) Self-defense is legal homicide but it's not legal murder. "Murder" is specifically defined as the unlawful killing of a human being. Self-defense is not unlawful, therefore by definition, it cannot be murder.